Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:03 PM

Re: Return of milk bottles !!

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I read that and also had not heard that before either. I was thinking of posting that information but with you resident in Scotland believed you would have known about that so no post was made. That kind of information does make me wonder if milk is pasteurised at the cost of taking out what may be beneficial?

Perhaps clabbered raw milk is allowed in Scotland whereas raw milk is not. Maybe worth finding out, that could be a loophole allowing consumption of milk which is not pasteurised?
I doubt it Baz...the amount of people these days who are lactose intolerant and have other dietary issues, along with the general health & safety associated with such things these days, makes it sound like a veritable minefield. However, I am researching this so I will update if I find any information. However, there is a way of making your own....I just need to make friends with a farmer
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I doubt it Baz...the amount of people these days who are lactose intolerant and have other dietary issues, along with the general health & safety associated with such things these days, makes it sound like a veritable minefield. However, I am researching this so I will update if I find any information. However, there is a way of making your own....I just need to make friends with a farmer

Best of luck!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:11 PM

Get a goat instead!
They're great characters. Lol.

(Taken a long while ago now. )
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:19 PM

Aww! Mups, I would love a goat, they look so much fun!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:25 PM

Aww! Mups, I would love a goat, they look so much fun!

They are, and they're clever old things too.
This one was a pretty gal, but a devil to milk when she grew up.

I never drank cows milk for well over 20 years.

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

17-06-2021, 02:30 PM

She has such unusual colouring for a goat! So pretty
Oldbod
United Kingdom
Oldbod is female 

17-06-2021, 02:48 PM

I went back to having my milk delivered in bottles just before Covid, in a bid to lessen my plastic use. It takes very little time to wash them.

No regrets here.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes , l do rinse them out Percy, and crush them and remove the
Wrapper ? But that may be a waste of time as l have heard
everything gets bunged into the same pile at our depot?
The price you quote is pricey, so l think your local producers are
cashing in on the exclusivity factor, which should hopefully
reduce once the system is fully fully operational and the bottles
cost is recovered??
Do you use the system BTW ?

Donkeyman! 👍👍
No, we use the supermarket for our milk supply. Local milkmen have always been pricey - even around Worcester it's £0.81/pint.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

17-06-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
No, we use the supermarket for our milk supply. Local milkmen have always been pricey - even around Worcester it's £0.81/pint.
Ouch that's a bit much! Milk is £1 a 4 pint jug in our supermarkets. Although I do wonder how they keep it so cheap. Its like eggs....I wouldn't buy cheap eggs because they are more likely to be battery hens who have never seen the sunshine, so I do wonder how they look after the cows.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2021, 03:11 PM

Ouch that's a bit much! Milk is £1 a 4 pint jug in our supermarkets. Although I do wonder how they keep it so cheap. Its like eggs....I wouldn't buy cheap eggs because they are more likely to be battery hens who have never seen the sunshine, so I do wonder how they look after the cows.
Considering that dairy farmers only get about 20p/lt (~11.4p/pt) for their milk, someone, somewhere in the supply chain is making a bomb. I suspect it's the processors like Dairy Crest and the like.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top