South western France
Jonsey is male 

29-07-2012, 08:12 AM

Re: Animal Experimentation

well said and very well put
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 12:05 PM

Hopefully this will be the way forward.

http://www.care2.com/causes/organ-ch...periments.html
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 01:17 PM

I'm all for that too.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Thanks for that link Loretta - amazing and very promising technology!
Falconer
Lancashire
Falconer is male  Falconer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2012, 10:22 PM

Might I chuck me two'pennorth in on this subject, folks?.

Some year's ago, my wife and I ran a Sanctuary for injured and sick Raptors, during which we often worked closely with a Manchester-based Animal Wefare Organistion called A.I.D...('Animals' In Distress')...who were, at the time, researching laboratory-testing on animals, and what they came up with was shocking, to say the least!...and this is what they discovered!.

A Multi-National Company, (who's aim is to buy-out and control as many Companies as possible), were, (and still are), using an animal-testing facility called 'Huntingdon Life Science's' in order to test a plethora of different products on animals, from food, cosmetic's, medication's and farming insectide's, to home and cleaning agent's and industrial chemical's.

This Conglomerate, when their 'crime's', (as far as I'm concerned), came to light, stated they wouldn't use animal's anymore to test animal food...but they're still using animals to test everything else they control!.

They own many more products these day's,including 'Pringles', 'Iams', 'Fairy Liquid', 'Duracell', 'Gillette', 'Olay', and at least 40 other Brands...(I have a complete list of the products they control, and as soon as I find it, I'll be more than happy to post the full list...if I may?.

Needless to say, we've bought NONE of their products for many year's now...nor will we ever!.

These day's, in order to 'play down' their obsequious testing method's, they're playing the 'Mum' card...(quote; 'supporting 'Mum's everywhere')...and they no longer use their full name!...

...(oh, I forgot to mention...they're called 'Proctor & Gamble'...but these day's they simply call themselve's 'P&G').
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 09:53 AM

As long as gratuitous cruelty is not involved I have no problem with vivisection.

In this case although I hate to think of the use of kittens if the end result will be of benefit to people then it is a price that must be paid.

Use of criminals in experimentation would be exactly the same as was done by the Nazi “Doctors of Death”, and condoned by so many of the supporters of Nazism.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 01:29 PM

I believe animal experimetation is still necessary in some cases if we wish to make further advancements in our scientific understanding and find the answers to things we still do not know, but need to find out. I totally agree that gratuitous cruelty is abhorrent when doing this sort of research and all undertakings must have sound ethical policies and motives.
For me the hows and whys it is necessary to do the experiment must be proved. IMO there should be a genuine committment to share the knowledge of what has already been discovered so repetition of experimentation for what is already known doesn't happen. There have been improvements, but it should be possible to go further with the controls and regulations on how we use animals in research. I think probably there are still situations where if scientists are not allowed to do something in one country, other countries who have less restrictions will take it forward and maybe there is some collusion in this area. I would like to see one worldwide pooling of resources and one pot of money given over to scientific research intended to benefit mankind medically - I don't think it should be a competitive thing to see which country or which laboratory beats others to the post (but that's idealistic and I don't suppose that will happen 100% for a long time).

As for the suggestion of using criminals, prisoners, or any perceived sub-class of people for experimentation, without their consent or with coercion, then we only have to look back into that dark period of history. I would hope anyone would turn away from that road to hell and realise there will never be any justification for allowing it to happen ever again.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Whatever your views on the rightness or wrongness of animal experimentation .... this one has to be the ultimate. ... going into space... before they would chance sending a human so far.

It makes a world of difference when you can put a name, face and little personality to the volunteer/victim.

Meet Ham ... I love this little guy.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 02:13 PM

I don't know if you will remember also Morticia, but I remember well when the Russians sent Liaka up into space. It was 3rd November 1957, the day after my 11th birthday and I was devastated. Laika was a dog, the first animal to orbit the earth and I knew there was no way that dog could ever could be brought back. I ranted and raved about how I felt to everyone for weeks that it was so wrong and it is an event I will never forget. Now I am a lot older; I understand that scientists must experiment on live subjects if we are to discover and learn about our universe and maybe our place in it. It doesn't alter the fact that these things still pull at my emotions and concience and I wish it didn't need to be done to further our uderstanding. Human beings have never been content to let it be.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top