Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:08 PM

Re: Ageism

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think it's respect they're expecting Floydy it's obedience, somebody has to be in charge...
Obedience seems a bit harsh. I expect that of my dog.

I was MD of a power electronics company for pretty much all of my working life. You hire people who will work with you.
Of course there are rules set out in a written employment contract. But good relationships are what makes it work.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Obedience seems a bit harsh. I expect that of my dog.

I was MD of a power electronics company for pretty much all of my working life. You hire people who will work with you.
Of course there are rules set out in a written employment contract. But good relationships are what makes it work.
You sound like a decent boss Besoeker, but most bosses fail to see things from the working man's perspective....They are arrogant, jumped up, power crazy megalomaniacs.....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:47 PM

You sound like a decent boss Besoeker, but most bosses fail to see things from the working man's perspective....They are arrogant, jumped up, power crazy megalomaniacs.....
That's not my experience OGF.
Bosses who run their own business and make a success of it need employees to be on board with them. Engage with them.
Work with them.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:51 PM

Forty years of factory life Floydy I've seen them all.....
There you go then mate. You get my drift
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 10:52 PM

As I said earlier, but as Besoeker says - most are decent.
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:23 PM

Well, I am 75 and I don't think that I have offended anyone on this, or any other forum that I use...However when my dad was about my age (or just slightly less) my mum commented that a friend of theirs had just celebrated her 80th birthday. My dad replied - 'I wouldn't like to be 80'...My mum,quick as a flash, replied - 'you would if you were 79!'
Fortunately I've inherited her sense of humour.
Dad passed away aged 83 (in 2000) and mum passed 7 years ago aged 94.

Malc.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2019, 11:54 PM

I think that's big previously public companies like BT where they have old civil service, entitled employees. I worked for BT for ten years, it went downhill.
pathfinder
scotland
pathfinder is male  pathfinder has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I'm 67 but I'm still dreaming of being a Rolling Stone. I think the young people of today are (mostly) bloody awesome. I don't want to be one of them..been there done that. I'm not jealous of them - just proud of them. I still go crazy beating the steering wheel when I'm listening to good music in the car. When I hear those comfortable, boring and entitled "senior citizens" in affluent first world countries - Australia well and truly included - whine endlessly about everything when they have very little to complain about. Whinge about how everything was better in "their day" but don't give a damn about anybody except themselves..I feel like saying But it's not your day now. You've had your day. It's theirs now...But I don't I just wait for the noise to pass. I, for one am happy the age I am. I don't feel "Old" and I feel lucky that I have what I have and that I've had what I did have.I know I'm never going to be a Rolling Stone. But I'm not too old to have my own little "play and giggle" blues band. And that's enough.
Like your way of thinking Keezoy but I still think the 60s hit the spot
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2019, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
I think that's big previously public companies like BT where they have old civil service, entitled employees. I worked for BT for ten years, it went downhill.
Yes I agree Ray, but to be honest the most unfair people I've come across in my working life are the shop floor lads who have been made up to foreman or supervisor and not higher management. Like Floydy says, they turn into jobsworths overnight.

But respect comes in very different forms....
You might respect a celebrity - singer or sportsman.
A hero, be it fireman, soldier or (dare I say it) Politician.
Your neighbour or friend.
Someone older than you.
A woman, if you're a bloke and a man if you're a woman ( LGBT etc. Let's not go there!)
And your wife....(not the same respect as you would give a random woman)...Not if you value your life and possessions anyway...
Just like 'Love' it comes in many different forms...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Well said .

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top