Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Re: Waking up in the night?

I often wake up in the night too Galty.....I try not to give in but someone here told me just accept you are not tired and do something else instead....it sort of works for me ...well at least it takes the pressure off thinking I SHOULD be sleeping
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 09:34 AM

When I was very sick, I was sleeping through the day as well as at night. I might fall asleep at 10am in front of my laptop, next thing I knew it was 1pm.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Every single night lately I have woken in the middle of the night and had to go downstairs to make a tea and watch TV/go online before I can get back to bed. I don't remember a day when I slept right through and woke up refreshed.
Forgive me for asking but do you drink anything alcoholic of a typical evening? A glass of wine, G&T?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Forgive me for asking but do you drink anything alcoholic of a typical evening? A glass of wine, G&T?
I am teetotal!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 09:40 PM

For most of my life I was definitely not a morning person!
I was always rushing and struggling to get to work on time, typically 07-00 or 08-00 in the morning

When I retired I was looking forward to the lie ins, but they hardly ever happened
now I find that I wake up in the early hours or early morning, anywhere between 3 and 7, and can't get to sleep again
I want to do something useful, but I live in a flat so I can't make much noise
Usually I watch TV with headphones or subtitles, or do something quiet and easy, like reading, or writing letters, or pottering about with a model plane
On a couple of occasions friends have complained that they have to double check the timers on their computers when they get an email from me timed at something like 04-07 in the morning

Sometimes I get up early then have a nap in the afternoon, or perhaps every 3 or 4 weeks or so I'll catch up and sleep till dinnertime

I wonder if it's an age thing?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Since retiring I sleep like a log with just a couple of visits to the toilet a couple of times during the night. I think running probably helps especially as I'm getting older and I take longer to recover, so I'm always ready for bed in the evening.

I'm a stickler for keeping the same hours though and am always in bed sometime between 10:30 pm and 11:00 am. I sometimes have a power nap in the afternoons but never later than 4:00 pm. I have been known to stop breathing occasionally while asleep, but I usually manage to get it going again.

Sometimes I awake in the morning with very low blood pressure and slow pulse rate (45 bpm) but It happened while I was in hospital after my Heart Attack back in 2004 and they didn't seem concerned. Perhaps my previous Heart trouble assists with my sleeping.

On the rare occasion that I can't sleep It might be because I'm thinking of stuff, so I try to clear my mind (sort of meditation and it takes practice) but next thing I know, I'm waking up in the morning.....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 10:23 PM

Now I am retired I find it quite difficult to sleep right through without waking at least once/twice/three times. These days I don't worry about it. I do a lot of reading in bed and always have a decent book at my side. . When I wake up I'll just go to the toilet (whether I want a wee or not) and then snuggle down and read for an hour or so. . I can be like this off and on all night, so I leave a bedside light on. I can read the best part of a book throughout the night. To be honest I quite enjoy it. I think this is probably the reason I have so many dreams which I can remember. It seems I hardly get a lot of really deep sleep - more light napping, reading and dreaming for me. My disturbed nights was the reason OH got out of bed and went to sleep on his own.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 05:15 AM

5.15 am and I have done all I can to get to sleep other than actually doing it. I hope others are having a more restful night!
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
5.15 am and I have done all I can to get to sleep other than actually doing it. I hope others are having a more restful night!
Annie what time did you go to bed ?How long does it take for you to drop off ? When you do sleep would you say it was deep? Did you read to focus your mind on something other than worrying you were going to waken up during the night ? Is there anything going on outside that could make you wake up with palpitations , a car engine for example ?
I think you are caught up in worrying that you’re going to waken up and now you can’t drop off according to this post!

No matter if I don’t do to bed until after midnight I never turn the light out until I’ve read a few pages of my current novel .
The mind is then focussed on what’s just been put into it .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

04-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Hi Zuleika �� i go to bed about 11pm and frequently wake at 2.30 or 3am. Often its a noise that wakes me even though I wear earplugs. Usually I wake from a deep sleep. Sometimes I have a bit of an anxiety attack on waking or need the loo, or I have heartburn. I probably eat too late but it's so difficult to get organised in the evenings after work. So I have a tea and take a kalms and try to nod off. Last night it was just not working out. But i did nod off eventually. I might try reading instead of switching on the net. Thanks for the tip.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top