Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 10:31 AM

Cheating in sport

A BBB/Buzzfeed report out today throws great suspicion on top tennis players in, yet another, betting/fixing scandal.

How I hate this. Athletics, cricket, football and now tennis all apparently victims of this pernicious action. Others as well, I suspect

Call me old-fashioned but to me the very essence of sport is fair competition - without that it is a pointless, solitary exercise and those involved might be better engaged in promoting their own fitness as individuals, and spectators and supporters should just find something else to do.

Any thoughts? How can this be minimised?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Re: Cheating in sport

Money root of all evil, unless they can take it out of sport, seems very little problem in amateur sports, I think it will be hard to get it under control.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
A BBB/Buzzfeed report out today throws great suspicion on top tennis players in, yet another, betting/fixing scandal.

How I hate this. Athletics, cricket, football and now tennis all apparently victims of this pernicious action. Others as well, I suspect

Call me old-fashioned but to me the very essence of sport is fair competition - without that it is a pointless, solitary exercise and those involved might be better engaged in promoting their own fitness as individuals, and spectators and supporters should just find something else to do.

Any thoughts? How can this be minimised?
I was reading this too and totally agree with you. At least it only appears to affect the players lower down the rankings rather than the top seeds. It would be even more horrifying if the very best were involved.
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 11:36 AM

It is so sad that sportsmen and women feel they have to cheat to be able to win at sport.

Is it best to test all athletes before they go out to run, play tennis, cricket etc. but I think if they are going to cheat they will always find a way around any test.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 11:36 AM

Fairly high in the food chain though, according to this, from the BBC website

The 28 players that the investigators highlighted continued to compete at the highest levels without being disciplined. Some have now retired but others are still playing at Grand Slam tournaments, including this week's Australian Open.
The leaked documents and interviews with more than a dozen sources indicate that 16 players who over the last decade have been ranked in the top 50 have been repeatedly flagged up to the TIU. They include several Grand Slam doubles winners.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
It is so sad that sportsmen and women feel they have to cheat to be able to win at sport.

Is it best to test all athletes before they go out to run, play tennis, cricket etc. but I think if they are going to cheat they will always find a way around any test.
But this is about throwing away matches for betting purposes rather than cheating to win.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

18-01-2016, 11:44 AM

Fairly high in the food chain though, according to this, from the BBC website

The 28 players that the investigators highlighted continued to compete at the highest levels without being disciplined. Some have now retired but others are still playing at Grand Slam tournaments, including this week's Australian Open.
The leaked documents and interviews with more than a dozen sources indicate that 16 players who over the last decade have been ranked in the top 50 have been repeatedly flagged up to the TIU. They include several Grand Slam doubles winners.
Oh, I misread. I thought it was the top 200 not the top 50. Sounds worse, then.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 12:26 PM

There is no end to corruption in sport it seems .

I just don't get it myself, if I hadn't won something fairly it would have no meaning for me all sense of achievement would be lost.
Whether the reason for cheating was substance related or throwing a game it is all the same to me.
dinahsmum
SW England

18-01-2016, 12:30 PM

Absolutely!

If you're going to do sport, do it clean, do it fair, else do something else. Anything other than clean and fair simply isn't sport. The expression "It's just not cricket" didn't come about for no reason
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2016, 04:19 PM

Cheating in sport ..... How I hate this. Athletics, cricket, football and now tennis all apparently victims of this pernicious action.
I'm with you. I thoroughly loath Ben Johnson and Lance Armstrong, but possibly the worst cheater of all time is Michael Schumacher when he VERY DEMONSTRATIVELY crashed into Jacques Villeneuve at the 1997 GP … to win the season on points.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top