Join for free
Page 538 of 1676 « First < 38 438 488 528 536 537 538 539 540 548 588 638 1038 1538 > Last »
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 04:17 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Now here’s a bit of news, nothing important as news goes but a human kindness story of a grateful nation thanking another people for helping them in their hour of need, this new leader of ours seems to be OK.

This sculpture was unveiled in Co Cork last year to commemorate the Choctaw nation's generosity

By Brian O'Donovan
Washington Correspondent

The Taoiseach is to meet members of the Choctaw native American community in Oklahoma next week.
Leo Varadkar will thank the Choctaw nation whose ancestors provided relief to Ireland during the Great Famine.
In 1847, they collected around $170, the equivalent of several thousand dollars today, for famine relief in Ireland.
The donation was made just 16 years after the infamous ‘Trail of Tears’, when tribes were relocated from their lands, at a time when the Choctaw people were themselves living in relative poverty.
Last year, a sculpture was unveiled in Midleton in Co Cork to commemorate their generousity and, on Monday, Mr Varadkar will meet Choctaw Chief Gary Batton in Oklahoma to thank him.
wow - yowl could have knocked me down with a feather !!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 04:42 PM

this sums it all up " free apps download free apps - watch your show as you go!"- this is the new age and madness -- this was the jingle for free apps for mobile phones
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
this sums it all up " free apps download free apps - watch your show as you go!"- this is the new age and madness -- this was the jingle for free apps for mobile phones
I am all apped out.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 07:12 PM

Hmm...I was just briefly looking at a tv show. It's called 'What would your kid do'. I imagine some of you must be aquainted with it. Now-the compare,Jason Manford,is good,a comedian of some worth-BUT-the 'kid' bit just sticks in my gullet. I saw a bit of some shouty gonk named Jeremy Kyle recently...and omg [he said,in his best 'text speak'] the bloke must've said 'kid' around 30 times in just the ten minutes I watched him. I'd like to know,seriously;is it JUST me,or does this inability to say the word 'child' get on anyone elses ti...er...nerves? I also noticed that a HUGE number of 'celebrities' seem TOTALLY unable to pronounce the letter 't' whenever they speak. Pronouncing words such as ''butter'' as ''Buh-er''. DASHED annoying,to my poor,overworked [and extremely lonely] braincell.
So I was just wondering if I'm alone in this dislike of what amounts to no more than laziness regarding pronounciation;especially considering these people are televised as they say things like "I goh-a noo ta-oo...it was WELL cheap,'ardly nuffink!". PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in my dislike of this laziness?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 07:44 PM

Must be all the texting they’re doing now Pug, shorthand for the masses, used to be only the posh office birds knew shorthand.
God be with the days when the old BBC front men/women spoke perfect English “And now we present “Come Dawnsing” and for the car enthusiast “My Gar rarge” with Reginald Hamilton Pennysworth.
Ever hear a posh woman saying “Putty”? the "U" vanishes and it becomes "Patty" How about an American saying the "B....x word, Bruce Willis tried it in one of his die hard films, very funny they just can't get it right. probably why they prefer the "F" word and use it so often in Hollywood films today.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 07:51 PM

Apps, they all have different brand names, you forget which logo is for which app,

Can’t find Mongolia on the map?
Download the map app.
No water coming from your tap?
Download the tap app.
Girls, can’t get a chap?
Down load the chap app.

So don’t be a sap, fill the gap and get the app on your lap. now!

This youtube video should be of Danny Doyle singing "Whiskey on a Sunday" I'm giving it one more go, if it doesn't work I'll have to get the app.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2018, 08:09 PM

I'll be your app Jem.

For Pugsy Bear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N35orbNw7X0
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

09-03-2018, 08:51 PM

Bless you and your knowledge of technology Sweetie, thank you.

Here’s the piece to accompany the song, Gumbud may have heard of Seth Davy.

Seth Davy, sometimes spelled Seth Davey, was a black street entertainer who worked in Liverpool, England, at the turn of the 20th century, and was immortalised in the folk song "Whiskey on a Sunday".
Little is known of Davy outside of the lyrics of the song, which themselves have been varied over the years, with his location sometimes even changed to Dublin (Beggar's Bush) or London (Shepherd's Bush) from the original Bevington Bush in Liverpool. No one is recorded in public records with the precise name of Seth Davy. This vagueness had led to the assumption that the character was imaginary, although many Liverpudlians claimed to have seen him in person.
But Seth Davy certainly existed. Fritz Spiegl possessed a lantern slide clearly showing a poor black street entertainer with three jig dolls at Bevington Bush, surrounded by children. Popular belief is that Seth Davy was West Indian, possibly Jamaican, though Ray Costello in his Black History, a history of Liverpool's black population, says that he was West African. Planters from Devon, England are known to have introduced the surname Davy into Jamaica. The existence of the Davy surname amongst black Jamaicans supports the belief that Seth Davy was from Jamaica.[1]
Davy sang 'Massa is a stingy man', from the repertoire of Dan Emmett, one of the stars of American minstrelsy, which contains the lines:
"Sing come day, go day
God send Sunday
We'll drink whiskey all de week
And buttermilk on Sunday'" Wiki.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

09-03-2018, 08:55 PM

Fascinating Jem.
Like Molly Malone, I always knew the song, but, had no idea she was fictional. Love the bronze statue.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

09-03-2018, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Apps, they all have different brand names, you forget which logo is for which app,

Can’t find Mongolia on the map?
Download the map app.
No water coming from your tap?
Download the tap app.
Girls, can’t get a chap?
Down load the chap app.

So don’t be a sap, fill the gap and get the app on your lap. now!

This youtube video should be of Danny Doyle singing "Whiskey on a Sunday" I'm giving it one more go, if it doesn't work I'll have to get the app.
Jem you've nearly got it ; you've nearly got it Bye jove he's nearly got it - just don't include the v= - so it should read

well done laddie nearly there - we don't give up on thread masters ya know - give a man a fish and he'll eat for one day but teach a man to fish etc etc

Page 538 of 1676 « First < 38 438 488 528 536 537 538 539 540 548 588 638 1038 1538 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top