Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Breakup of the UK

As someone who naively supported remain with UK in Indyref1 I can't believe how much support there is for Indyref2 since Boris came in and that includes me and nearly everyone I know.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...hnson-16852430

After hundreds of years of an abusive marriage it looks like Scotland is finally waking up. We just need a moronic no deal Brexit, maybe a proroguing of parliament by Boris the clown for the final push.

It is increasingly clear that england sees their future as some kind of deregulated Singapore without the sun or 51st state of Donald Trump led by cretins from Eton stuck in the last century. Who knows who cares.

We have more in common with Iceland, Scandinavia, France, Begium, Ireland (North and South) in fact anywhere except england.

I reckon Northern Ireland will follow pretty soon and eventually Wales.

Bring it on.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 02:54 PM

Re: Breakup of the UK

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
As someone who naively supported remain with UK in Indyref1 I can't believe how much support there is for Indyref2 since Boris came in and that includes me and nearly everyone I know.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/p...hnson-16852430

After hundreds of years of an abusive marriage it looks like Scotland is finally waking up. We just need a moronic no deal Brexit, maybe a proroguing of parliament by Boris the clown for the final push.

It is increasingly clear that england sees their future as some kind of deregulated Singapore without the sun or 51st state of Donald Trump led by cretins from Eton stuck in the last century. Who knows who cares.

We have more in common with Iceland, Scandinavia, France, Begium, Ireland (North and South) in fact anywhere except england.

I reckon Northern Ireland will follow pretty soon and eventually Wales.

Bring it on.
I think the SNP should put its own house in order first after landing the Scottish tax payers with a £512,00 payment to Alex Salmond for it's botched enquiry into the sexual harassment claims against him. Add to that the £120,000 for their own expenses.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49331140
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

15-08-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I think the SNP should put its own house in order first after landing the Scottish tax payers with a £512,00 payment to Alex Salmond for it's botched enquiry into the sexual harassment claims against him. Add to that the £120,000 for their own expenses.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-49331140
There are clear problems with some individuals. But if you take the approach of "pay for your errors" for each party then think about the DUP's renewal heat incentive mess and pretty much every botched policy and action by Grayling. Your argument, whilst amusing, does not merit serious consideration.
Bring on Indyref2 and get shot of what is now a nasty, mean England and an utterly hopeless Brexit mess.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Scotland lost 13 seats to the Conservatives at the last election and 38% voted to leave the EU.

I would seriously question Scotland wanting to leave the UK and join the EU - especially when Scotland voted to remain in the UK in the last referendum.

How will Scotland fund itself and what will its currency be ? These are the questions that Sturgeon needs to answer.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
There are clear problems with some individuals. But if you take the approach of "pay for your errors" for each party then think about the DUP's renewal heat incentive mess and pretty much every botched policy and action by Grayling. Your argument, whilst amusing, does not merit serious consideration.
Bring on Indyref2 and get shot of what is now a nasty, mean England and an utterly hopeless Brexit mess.
Scotland would be welcome of course, but there would be some problems too. Scotland would have to be in schengen, as all new members, and have to adopt euro currency.
Probably you would be net receiver.
Special provision will be needed for not having a written constitution?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 03:55 PM

If Scotland wishes to leave they can, it was rejected once and will be again and again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 04:00 PM

I'm not sure Scotlands GDP figures would qualify them for EU ascension anyway.

I'm pretty sure I'm right... ?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by gascony ->
60% of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the UK. Only 18% with the EU. 22% with the the rest of the world.
https://www2.gov.scot/Topics/Statist...ESSPublication
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Scotland would be welcome of course, but there would be some problems too. Scotland would have to be in schengen, as all new members, and have to adopt euro currency.
Probably you would be net receiver.
Special provision will be needed for not having a written constitution?
For scots only:

The Copenhagen Criteria are the rules that define whether a country is eligible to join the European Union. The criteria require that a state has the institutions to preserve democratic governance and human rights, has a functioning market economy, and accepts the obligations and intent of the EU.
These membership criteria were laid down at the June 1993 European Council in Copenhagen, Denmark, from which they take their name.
gascony
Gascony
gascony is male 

15-08-2019, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
If Scotland wishes to leave they can, it was rejected once and will be again and again.
I'd not be so sure that an Indyref2 vote would so easily have a 'no' majority. Do not under-estimate how much Scotland resents being dragged along for an English Brexit that will do it no favours and goes against the majority view in Scotland. Do not under-estimate how much Tory governments are hated in Scotland and with good reason given the track record of how they have treated Scotland. So it is brave to claim independence would be rejected again and again. A lot has changed since 2015. Besides, surely its only fair? England wants out of the EU and Scotland wants out of the UK - same principle, no? Brexiteers must understand and sympathise with the arguments.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top