Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 11:24 AM

It`s so quiet

The three huge poplar trees have gone and the garden seems so quiet now. It turned out that one of them was not at all well and could have fallen over the next couple of years or so.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 11:28 AM

Re: It`s so quiet

I always feel sad when trees are felled but if they are dangerous then it's better to let them go. Quiet you will get used to but it's surprising at first how much you will miss them.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I always feel sad when trees are felled but if they are dangerous then it's better to let them go. Quiet you will get used to but it's surprising at first how much you will miss them.

To be honest I will not miss them at all. They were about 80ft high and still growing. Very nice in the right place but-not in my garden.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 11:55 AM

I can imagine that would be a wrong place for a tree, we have a huge oak about ten feet from our living room window, other residents have tried to have it felled, I've chained myself to it twice to stop that happening. Love that tree wrong place an all. The birds, squirrels etc it's like watching a soap opera from my window all the relationships between the creatures. Tailless squirrel, fat wood pigeon, I love them all.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 12:00 PM

I can imagine that would be a wrong place for a tree, we have a huge oak about ten feet from our living room window, other residents have tried to have it felled, I've chained myself to it twice to stop that happening. Love that tree wrong place an all. The birds, squirrels etc it's like watching a soap opera from my window all the relationships between the creatures. Tailless squirrel, fat wood pigeon, I love them all.
Get a t p o order on it tree preserveaton order
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 12:12 PM

That would be a real worry to me. Tree roots can cause severe damage to the foundations of any buildings in close proximity. I had a subsidence issue caused by a tree close to a previous house of mine. It took almost a year for the insurance company to sort it.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs

13-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
That would be a real worry to me. Tree roots can cause severe damage to the foundations of any buildings in close proximity. I had a subsidence issue caused by a tree close to a previous house of mine. It took almost a year for the insurance company to sort it.

Good point. I love trees but some do not belong in gardens.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

13-07-2017, 12:25 PM

It was here before the flats were built in 1989 they should have thought about that then it was already really big. Only thing worries me about it is I won't be here to save it one day.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 12:55 PM

Subsidence isn't the only danger either.

Having them cut down can bring the problem of land heave afterwards.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 12:55 PM

I have a huge Oak tree at the end on my front garden, but the garden is big so I never worry about damage to my house.
What does bother me is, the squirrels bury the acorns in my garden and last week I found two small oak trees growing much closer to the house. I am afraid they may have to be cut down before they get too big... because they are only about 18 inches high at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top