Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 03:34 AM

Re: Can this be true?!

My OH and his brother sometimes carry on as if they despise each other. It took me a while to realize it's good-natured.

As for women I don't think the generalization is true - it depends on how close they are to one another. My daughters and I can trust each other to be truthful yet supportive.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 01:41 PM

An interesting thread.

I think a lot of people, particularly women, make complimentary and pleasing comments which they don't mean, whether to a person face to face, or on forums like this one.

Maybe I am just very cynical, but reading the outpourings on this forum, which either compliment another member, or sympathise with their woes, I wonder just how genuine the comments are? Some of the compliments, for instance, seem OTT and undeserved. I suspect the more a person raves about something another has done, is wearing etc, the less likely the comment is genuinely meant.

Unless I actually felt any empathy towards a person I would not express complimentary or sympathetic feelings, believing it to be hypocritical. I don't know anyone personally on this forum, so their personal circumstances don't make any impression on me, anymore than I would expect mine to on them.

Fortunately my three girls tell it like it is where I am concerned. If I am behaving like a senile, daft old bat they will say so!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 02:18 PM

I think that with forums Willow what people say can only be taken at face value. It is not hypocritical to admire something - Bobmilke's photographs for example are excellent and he obviously takes a lot of time and effort with them; it is his hobby and is important to him, so why not say that the effort is appreciated. He is sharing something with the rest of us.
I also don't think it is hypocritical to show empathy when someone is brave enough to disclose something that concerns them. We all have problems - some more than others and it is often helpful to get someone else's anonymous point of view. Individuals are generally pretty good at judging when someone is genuine in what they say or not and like I said it's wise to take what people post at face value only - take it or leave it, the choice is there. A few thoughtful words costs nothing and could do some good. Hurtful comments are few and far between and are not necessary and, fortunately, most people refrain from being judgemental or hurtful. I find that forums are often quite good places for people to "bounce" things off each other, to share, and get a different perspective on a problem. Nothing at all hypocritical IMO in letting someone know that you can understand what they may be feeling.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 02:35 PM

If you empathise with someone then fine, say so. I was just querying how many of the comments were genuine empathy, or people running off at the mouth?

I haven't seen that person's photos, I don't look at profiles on which I presume they are displayed.

If an opinion is asked for then I will give it honestly, I won't say something nice just for the sake of it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

[QUOTE=Willow;195642]If you empathise with someone then fine, say so. I was just querying how many of the comments were genuine empathy, or people running off at the mouth?

I haven't seen that person's photos, I don't look at profiles on which I presume they are displayed.

If an opinion is asked for then I will give it honestly, I won't say something nice just for the sake of it.[/QUOTE]

Neither will I Willow and I think I said what people say is best taken at face value, nice or nasty.

Bob puts up his photograpic work as a thread from time to time - I don't know if they are in his profile photographs or not, but his work is excellent and well worth a look.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
An interesting thread.

I think a lot of people, particularly women, make complimentary and pleasing comments which they don't mean, whether to a person face to face, or on forums like this one.
Do they, I can only speak for myself and I don't.
Maybe I am just very cynical, but reading the outpourings on this forum, which either compliment another member, or sympathise with their woes, I wonder just how genuine the comments are? Some of the compliments, for instance, seem OTT and undeserved. I suspect the more a person raves about something another has done, is wearing etc, the less likely the comment is genuinely meant.
Really? I speak as I find.

Unless I actually felt any empathy towards a person I would not express complimentary or sympathetic feelings, believing it to be hypocritical. I don't know anyone personally on this forum, so their personal circumstances don't make any impression on me, anymore than I would expect mine to on them.
I don't know anyone on the forum in person (though I have known a few on Dogsey for some years) ..this does not prevent me from feeling sympathetic to their circumstances or empathising with them.
I don't feel the least bit hypocritical in doing so because the sentiments I express are genuine.

I am sure there are others on the forum who feel as I do.
If everyone only felt empathy for those they know personally the world would be a colder harsher place.

ETA I think Janela's original post was meant to be light hearted not a serious observation...
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 04:44 PM

OK I'm weird but I find it very hard to empathise with people in the virtual world of cyberspace. After all how do you know if they are for real?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 05:11 PM

OK I'm weird but I find it very hard to empathise with people in the virtual world of cyberspace. After all how do you know if they are for real?
How do we know anyone is 'for real' . People in 'the 'real world' can turn out to be not as genuine as they seem.

Take yourself 'Willow' , I have no way of knowing how genuine you are.
I don't think it is difficult to spot genuine people from their behaviour, time usually provides confirmation of this.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 05:18 PM

It was meant as a light hearted comment
I think you can tell a little of someones personality by the very way they 'chat' on here
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 06:08 PM

If you don't think we are real then why bother replying at all..?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top