Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 11:54 AM

Jubilee Overkill

Jubilee Overkill

Has no-one in the media never heard the phrase “saturation point”? And no, I don’t mean the weather..

I don’t think I can ever remember when I have been so heartily sick of hearing about something as I am now regarding the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations. Talk about overkill...

Now don’t get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for the Queen and how she has served our country for so long, but I don’t think that I can bear to read another word, watch another minute of news or wave another flag…

So enough now, please stop the bandwagon I want to get off….
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Re: Jubilee Overkill

You should have stocked up on books to see you over this period, Barry!

I say let people enjoy themselves, we've not had much to cheer about in this country for a while and it's good to see people planning events in recognition of our Queen's wonderful achievement..... not many countries can boast (for want of a better word) that.

My grandchildren are very excited about it and having been asking many questions about the Queen and are quite aware they may never witness another celebration like this in their lifetime.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 01:45 PM

Breakfast news on BBC this morning was overkill. The commentators always run out of sensible things to say. There is only so much you can say in three hours, about the River Thames and the 1,000 boat flotilla.
No street parties or bunting anywhere near me. Though I saw a couple of cars with the Union flag on them yesterday.
Have you seen some of the memorabilia on sale?
British Shoes at £3,000 union flag on the heel and studded with crystals (made in Italy )
M & S are doing an underwear range from the 50's
and the one I think is gross, 'sick bags' with the Queens face on them, saying 'bling it up'.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 02:05 PM

I must agree Jan that the banal diatribe of reporters trying to find something else interesting to say is downright embarrassing, and it's a fact that the whole occasion has been hijacked by a media and marketing frenzy, which actually demeans the whole occasion. Is there really anything more disrespectful than sick bags and underwear with the Queens face or the Union Jack on it?....
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Well with living in canada if its on tv just turn it off
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 02:24 PM

I have put up some Bunting in the Garden and that is my effort for the Jubilee,there is a garden party in the village but I shall not be going.It remimded me of King George and Queen Elizabeth coming to Manchester when I was little to see the bombing, very exciting standing on the edge of the pavement waving a flag and being so close to the King and Queen. She has been a good Queen and deserves the fuss over the jubilee.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 03:06 PM

I do agree about the overkill. Bought to papers today, both the same full of pages and pages of the Queen. I like to see the photos of years gone by, and how things have changed. But it's ridiculous how much they have put in. Both paper have the same photo's, and articles.
Not watched any TV today.

I wish the Queen a very happy Jubilee, but four days is to much.
Hu99
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hu99 is male  Hu99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pixie ->
Well with living in canada if its on tv just turn it off
Spot on, Pixie. Fortunately we haven't received the blanket coverage here and consequently I'm not sick to death of it. I'm watching the coverage of the Thames flotilla right now because there's nothing else worth watching at the moment, but once my local news starts at 8am Her Majesty is going to have to take a back seat I'm afraid.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:10 PM

I have watched some coverage of the Thames flotilla and I must say I enjoyed the first half hour but that was enough. Though I saw the end with the London Philharmonic I do feel sorry for the Queen, she must be frozen poor dear. It is pouring with rain and breezy, bet she is looking forward to a cup of tea and a sit down, after all she is 85 and the Duke is 91.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:28 PM

Good luck to all those who enjoyed themselves...but it really doesn't mean a lot to me. There are a few houses near me with the odd flag out, but for the most part, it's just a big non-event.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top