Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Re: Jubilee Overkill

Originally Posted by plantman ->
the banal diatribe of reporters trying to find something else interesting to say is downright embarrassing, and it's a fact that the whole occasion has been hijacked by a media and marketing frenzy
Yes Barry I do sympathise with you, also like you I have the utmost respect for our Queen and believe she has done a wonderful job over those sixty years.

But one event being hijacked by the media is not uncommon, it seems to me that there is some faceless TV mogul sitting in a luxurious office in London who passes down decrees that today, or maybe this weekend, or even this whole week will be devoted to X and God dam it the whole UK population WILL watch it and WILL enjoy it and WILL thank me

Had I known you could have popped over here for a few days, we've got a spare room and there's hardly anything on the local TV or in the press, and tomorrow is a normal working day, as is Tuesday
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:41 PM

To do my duty I watched the last ten minutes of the river pageant, thought that all credit should go to all involved in the organisation, and yes, such a shame that after all the years of planning it had to rain quite so heavily on them all...
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Well thats Whitsuntide and being here in England.But I am sure the people celebrating there wont care,they will still enjoy themselves.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 07:25 PM

I think the celebrations are fantastic, just watching them now. And a fitting tribute to an outstanding Monarch.
Silver Surfer
Manchester UK
Silver Surfer is female  Silver Surfer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 07:48 PM

I`ve sat and watched the celebrations all afternoon and loved every minute .Hubby cooked our roast dinner and we opened a bottle of champagne to toast our Majesty .
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 08:27 PM

^^^^^us too, we've also got the buntings out, it's once in a lifetime we'll see this great occasion.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2012, 09:27 PM

I had the TV on all afternoon watching the Thames Pageant, and then after tea watched All the Queen's Horses. Really enjoyed both programmes, and then tomorrow will have the Jubilee Concert....loving all these celebrations and after 60 years reign, I think the Queen deserves them. Don't know how she and Prince Phillip stood for four and half hours watching the boats...no way I could have done that!
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 12:18 AM

I've really enjoyed watching it on and off today and have just watched All the Queen's Horses. I felt quite emotional when I first saw the Queen dressed in white earlier!
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 03:08 AM

Barry, if you don't want it to bother you, do as I do. Don't switch on your TV and don't read the newspapers. It's very simple. My TV hasn't been switched on since December 2010 and I haven't bought a newspaper in more years than I care to remember. Make of that what you will, but I am content.

I'm probably the only anti-Royalist on this forum, but hey-ho, there has to be one and I don't apologise for it. My reasons are my own which I've no wish to share with others.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2012, 07:15 AM

It is not just Jubilee overkill, the media do it with everything just in the hope that they can get noticed, a bit like Politicians and union officials do.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top