Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 12:51 AM

Historian finds grandfather’s long-lost WWI medal on eBay

I like good news stories.

Martin Robson Riley, 45, has been reunited with his grandfather's WWI Victory Medal more than 30 years after it went missing.

Riley found the medal on eBay after typing "Riley, medal" into the search engine, something he did on a semi-regular basis.

"Up this medal popped with his name, HW Riley and his Army number. I couldn't believe it," Riley, who works for the National Library of Wales, told BBC News.

"I sent a message to the seller straight away. I suppose I should have bid for it because the starting price was only 99p ($1.58 CAD). The seller replied and said he would send me the medal because I had more right to it than anyone else. I didn't pay for it. I'm so grateful."

The seller acquired the medal at an auction in Cornwall.

The Victory Medal was presented to Private Henry Riley, who served in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He died in 1927.

After the death of Riley's step-grandfather in 1981, the family discovered that Riley's grandfather's Allied Victory Medal and British War Medal was not at the family home.

While he hoped to find the medals one day, he never thought it would actually happen.

"It is just fantastic to be reunited with at least one of the medals after so many years, especially as we never knew what happened to them other than they just disappeared from the family home in Bournbrook," Mr Riley added.

Private Riley's story is a tragic one. Upon returning from the war, he became ill, having suffered from Encephalitis lethargica.

"It meant he lost his job and eventually he took his own life. It is such a tragic tale," Riley told WalesOnline. Private Riley died at the age of 28.

"These medals are a link to my family history and to the tragic story of what my grandfather had been through," he said. "Maybe the other medal will now come to light so I can frame them together as a reminder of a man I sadly never knew."
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 12:54 AM

Re: Historian finds grandfather’s long-lost WWI medal on eBay

That is such good news, despite the story behind it being so tragic. I hope the other medals come to light.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 10:21 AM

It is always heart warming to hear stories of this kind.
A very knowledgable and kind lady discoved the war memorial of my husbands grandfather and his war history.
We were really grateful for all the information. So I can understand this man being so elated about the find.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 10:32 AM

It's amazing what you find on Ebay
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 10:36 AM

Both my grandfathers served in WW1, one was mentioned in dispatches, I believe. They died before I was born though. Undoubtedly both would have had quite a few medals, but neither of my grandmothers ever showed them to their grandchildren, they obviously weren't that highly prized almost given out like smarties as they were.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Both my grandfather served in WW1, one was mentioned in dispatches, I believe. They died before I was born though. Undoubtedly both would have had quite a few medals, but neither of my grandmothers ever showed them to their grandchildren, they obviously weren't that highly prized almost given out like smarties as they were.
Some people do put a high sentimental value on them. After all, they represent what our parents and grandparents had to endure. To be honest I think it disrespectful to liken the medals to Smarties. An awful lot of people died in horrific circumstances without a second thought about medals or reward and because of them, we live in a free and democratic society. Men and women are still dying in the service of this country, wether you agree with the wars or not.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Some people do put a high sentimental value on them. After all, they represent what our parents and grandparents had to endure. To be honest I think it disrespectful to liken the medals to Smarties. An awful lot of people died in horrific circumstances without a second thought about medals or reward and because of them, we live in a free and democratic society. Men and women are still dying in the service of this country, wether you agree with the wars or not.
If you think they are of sentimental value, fine. I never knew my grandfathers so their medals have absolutely no sentimental value to me at all. They obviously didn't have any for their wives either was the point I was making, nothing to do with how terrible wars are, and the suffering endured by those fighting in them!
mesco m
manchester

08-06-2012, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
If you think they are of sentimental value, fine. I never knew my grandfathers so their medals have absolutely no sentimental value to me at all. They obviously didn't have any for their wives either was the point I was making, nothing to do with how terrible wars are, and the suffering endured by those fighting in them!
I think many, many wives treasured the medals. We are the keepers of war medals, passed down by grandmother's and mothers. Indeed we have a lot of family war items.

People are tracking down medals that were given to parents and grandparents, so they obviously hold sentinmental value for them, because of the history behind them.

I know you hold no sentimental value to items, that's fair enough. But other's, including myself, do.

And of course the medals have to do with the wars. No wars, no medals.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-06-2012, 12:05 PM

No wars, no medals! Well that isn't true is it? Medals are given out for all sorts of other things as well as wars. My young grandson has loads of the things for excelling at football!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

That was a very heartwarming story, Sue, finding his grandfather's Victory Medal must have been very emotional for him.

I find it difficult to comprehend how anyone can belittle a war medal, many, many brave men fought for their countries and fully deserved any recognition whatsoever. How a war medal can be compared to a football medal is demeaning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top