Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Re: Could living abroad be achieved financially?

Too many expats, both retired and business owners to become a problem...hopefully.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2017, 03:41 PM

Good replies, thanks all.

I'm nowhere near retiring just yet, but it's something to think about when I'm in that position. Though maybe in around 15 years' time things may have changed.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Everyone I have ever known that went off to another country came back to the UK after things didn't work out the way they planned. Greece, Canada, etc.

Spain's economy is shot, another great EU victim along with Greece, Italy and so many others.

Years ago there was a boom of Brits going over to Spain to build properties and live there. Later on the Spanish authorities deemed that the planning permissions were not right and so many people lost everything.

The grass always looks greener, but very seldom is.

With BrExit and the inevitable eventual collapse of the EU, being abroad might not be the ideal situation. Things are very likely to change, businesses likely to go under, local populations likely to want to look after their own rather than incoming Brits or anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, I love Spain, I visit it many times in many different parts and have some good friends there. I've learned to speak Spanish and I love their food and traditions. Moving there permanently though is a different matter. Many things would be fantastic, the endless supply of fresh market ingredients, warm weather, laid back lifestyle, but everything could easily change and getting back onto the UK property ladder once you've been out of it for a while can be difficult.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Excellent post above, Realist. One worth noting for the future, if I ever decide on a future living abroad that is!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 02:06 PM

I must admit, I do envy those who decided to up sticks and head for the sunshine. but being the stick-in-the-mud that I am, If I could take all of my family, my house, the NHS and Sainsbury's with me, then maybe, even now at the ripe old age of 68, I would do the same.
Unfortunately, in reality, I think the safest place in the world to be right now is right here, in the Shires, where crime is low, life is sedate, kind and comforting. Why would I want to leave? I would even miss the weather!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Years ago there was a boom of Brits going over to Spain to build properties and live there. Later on the Spanish authorities deemed that the planning permissions were not right and so many people lost everything.
Yes, I remember at the time our thinking how that episode had completely put us off ever considering emigrating to Spain.

I found it disgusting what well-meaning emigrants were suffering, whether that was due to the authorities flexing their muscles or the incompetence of their legal advisors.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I remember at the time our thinking how that episode had completely put us off ever considering emigrating to Spain.

I found it disgusting what well-meaning emigrants were suffering, whether that was due to the authorities flexing their muscles or the incompetence of their legal advisors.
Many brought it upon themselves.....not going down the right channels, not employing the right legal eagles etc...and the corruption that existed in local government.

Buying property in Spain is easy and very straightforward if you do it right.

Selling is just as straightforward and stress free.

I have just sold an apartment and currently awaiting completion.

I didn't advertise it...informed my agent(one we've used a few times over the last 30 years) He phoned me just three days after I'd decided to sell...got an offer, signed contract with deposit 7 days later....the Notary will be completed either the 2nd or 3rd week in July.

5 weeks from start to finish and no worries as to whether it will fall through at the 11th hour....if the buyer does pull out he loses his 10k euro deposit.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Many brought it upon themselves.....not going down the right channels, not employing the right legal eagles etc...and the corruption that existed in local government.

Buying property in Spain is easy and very straightforward if you do it right.

Selling is just as straightforward and stress free.

I have just sold an apartment and currently awaiting completion.

I didn't advertise it...informed my agent(one we've used a few times over the last 30 years) He phoned me just three days after I'd decided to sell...got an offer, signed contract with deposit 7 days later....the Notary will be completed either the 2nd or 3rd week in July.

5 weeks from start to finish and no worries as to whether it will fall through at the 11th hour....if the buyer does pull out he loses his 10k euro deposit.
Glad to hear it.

I hope the situation continues after Brexit. I'm sure it will as far as we're concerned, though some of the recent posturing by Spanish politicians is a little worrying. Despite that, I'm sure that when push comes to shove, they won't be so obstreperous, as it wouldn't be in their interests at all.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

28-06-2017, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Glad to hear it.

I hope the situation continues after Brexit. I'm sure it will as far as we're concerned, though some of the recent posturing by Spanish politicians is a little worrying. Despite that, I'm sure that when push comes to shove, they won't be so obstreperous, as it wouldn't be in their interests at all.
I hope it wont affect the Brits and I can see no reason why it would....other than exchange rates and the way they receive their state pensions.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I hope it wont affect the Brits and I can see no reason why it would....other than exchange rates and the way they receive their state pensions.
Luncheon Vouchers

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top