Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:01 PM

Re: Plumbing and Drainage Plus

Jan, if you have a water meter then the main stop cock is adjacent to it down the same hole and is turned off using a special key which all plumbers carry. If you were to employ a plumber then to fit you a new stop cock in the house, then he would be easily able to isolate the supply whilst he fitted you a stop tap in a convenient position on your rising main and it shouldn't be a big or expensive job.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Right, I’m back.

I would love to sort out the stop cock, but don’t know who to ask.

The previous owners had a porch built, so perhaps it is in my front room, in which case I’d hate the thought of pulling up boards. I wondered if it would be possible for someone to pull up boards in the porch to access the pipe, to install a stop cock. I wouldn’t know where to begin looking inside the house.

Reading back your replies, it was suggested a plumber could fit one. I will make some more enquiries.

I need to speak to a few neighbours, methinks.

Thanks Barry, good advice about registering as vulnerable.

Susan, it was my water company that sent the letter. Yes, as a single person I have always made a point of attempting to keep on top of utility suppliers and their responsibilities. Up until last year I was in the flat, and had bought it from new, so therefore didn’t feel the need for any insurance for that.

Thanks all.
I assume that you've looked under the sink?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I assume that you've looked under the sink?
I would assume the surveyor did that, or the previous owners. I can’t get down on hands and knees to check, and wouldn’t know what to look for.

Handily, in the flat I sold last year, each stop cock/tap in the large walk in cupboard in my lounge was handily labelled!!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Jan, if you have a water meter then the main stop cock is adjacent to it down the same hole and is turned off using a special key which all plumbers carry. If you were to employ a plumber then to fit you a new stop cock in the house, then he would be easily able to isolate the supply whilst he fitted you a stop tap in a convenient position on your rising main and it shouldn't be a big or expensive job.
See my post no. 9. Yes, I do know the location of the outside one, but as also mentioned, the chamber is very deep. I don’t have the key, and don’t want to bother buying one.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:43 PM

See my post no. 9. Yes, I do know the location of the outside one, but as also mentioned, the chamber is very deep. I don’t have the key, and don’t want to bother buying one.
So do you not intend to have a new stop tap fitted inside?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:44 PM

We have a matt well with a hatch in our front hall. The stop cock is within hand reach under the hatch. As someone mentioned they can get stiff with under use so I periodically close and open it to keep it free.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
We have a matt well with a hatch in our front hall. The stop cock is within hand reach under the hatch. As someone mentioned they can get stiff with under use so I periodically close and open it to keep it free.
It's a good idea to do that a few times every year but most people forget (myself included).
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Tip. Make sure you can turn off your stopcock and on again . Ours had seized up but we had a plumber for another job and he freed it up
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2020, 08:59 PM

I would assume the surveyor did that, or the previous owners. I can’t get down on hands and knees to check, and wouldn’t know what to look for.

Handily, in the flat I sold last year, each stop cock/tap in the large walk in cupboard in my lounge was handily labelled!!
It sounds like a lever type would suit you, rather than a screw down type or perhaps have both fitted. Once the water is off, the whole job should take about 20 minutes.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2020, 12:15 PM

Just received a letter from my water company, offering this. Now I have my own house I am wondering if it is something I should be considering taking out.

The house is suspected to be have been built sometime in the early 1900s.

Premium for the first year is 50p a month, for the first year, rising to £10/m thereafter, if I respond by 16.12.20.

Worth it, do you think? They give examples of costs, like £478 to locate, excavate and repair a leak, and £255 to unblock a private drain.

One thing I want somebody here (no, home, not the forum) is help me find an indoor stop cock. Or who to contact to fit one that is accessible.

Thanks.
Most are doing this now and often in conjunction with Homeserve. I had a dispute with Homeserve when my general house insurance sent Homeserve along to look at a large broken window after a swan had decided to fly into it. They were worse than useless and demanded my policy's £50 excess before they would even measure up. I told them where to go in no uncertain terms and employed my local glazier. My insurance paid the fully descriptive bill in full minus the £50 excess. To demand the excess before the job is finished to my satisfaction is completely unacceptable but apparently is typical of dodgy Homeserve.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top