Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 11:46 AM

Re: Alien Gogglebox

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
That is what scientists are thinking.

https://www.brunel.ac.uk/news-and-ev...3-new-research
Yes, A more likely scenario Cinders.....
It had been suggested in the past that comets flying by deposited dormant viruses on earth because some pandemics in the past strangely appeared after the close pass of a comet. Once these dormant viruses fell to earth they found the perfect conditions to multiply and flourish, hitching a ride on their human hosts.

Concerning life on other planets, there are far too many if's that would need to occur to suggest the possibility of intelligent life anywhere else in the universe.
We have only had the means by which to investigate space for the last couple of thousand years when the planet earth has been around for around 4.5 billion years...So it would mean the other places that could sustain life progressed and evolved at exactly the same time as earth.

A few billion years earlier and life could have arrived at the same place as us now and destroyed life on their planet.
A few billion years later and nothing bigger than an amoeba exists.
Just a very slight difference in the atmosphere might suggest that oxygen breathing life might be totally different to what we consider life....
And then there is gravity....Our musculature shape is largely dependent on our gravity, one of the major problems encountered by our astronauts after long periods of weightlessness.
Minerals on other worlds might be different to the ones on earth, so construction of houses and vehicles would take on completely different shapes, and like here on earth, we don't have the materials available, or the knowledge for travel at light speeds which would be required to reach even the nearest galaxy in our time.
And finally, the human mind is not capable of understanding the size of the universe we occupy, Hell! We don't even realise the size of the planet we live on and the power it can exert if we think we can change the climate....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:40 PM

Concerning life on other planets, there are far too many if's that would need to occur to suggest the possibility of intelligent life anywhere else in the universe.

There were probably far too many ifs to suggest life would exist on our planet and yet, it occurred, I’m not saying that life on other planets is intelligent enough to be able to visit us, I’m just saying that life, in any form , must exist somewhere on one or more planets in one or more galaxies..
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->

There were probably far too many ifs to suggest life would exist on our planet and yet, it occurred, I’m not saying that life on other planets is intelligent enough to be able to visit us, I’m just saying that life, in any form , must exist somewhere on one or more planets in one or more galaxies..
I don't believe that to be the case Primus, natural progression would suggest that life could exist on any planet eventually where conditions are favourable to support it. However, for life to exist on other observable worlds at exactly the same time as life on this world would be quite some coincidence.....And a very big 'If' indeed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 06:18 AM

There is only one SETI I am interested in, and that is one from DFS which you can plonk down on and watch TV.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

26-06-2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There is only one SETI I am interested in, and that is one from DFS which you can plonk down on and watch TV.
Doncaster Furniture Stores.....Good choice Spitty... We do things proper in Yorkshire!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top