Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Re: We've all heard the phrase that a dog is Man's Best Friend.

Love your post poohdog

Most dogs are very loving and loyal but there are always rogue ones just as with any species; I've met far more aggressive and negative humans than I've met aggressive and negative dogs!
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Tigue you were faithful, faithful to the end , oh How I miss you you were my best friend (Jim Reeves)
After A bad car crash My dog never left my bed side for nearly a year , she pinned and wouldnt eat while I was in hospital even through she had my husband to care for her . Friends came to walk her she would drag her heels all the way then drag them back as soon as they turned around . Now she is 15 and getting a bit blind im repaying her in her old age . She is my constant shadow ... I never have to call her
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 04:52 PM

The majority of humans turning up with dog bites at A&E are from labradors, why? Because more labradors are owned in the UK than any other dog.

The Kennel Club refer to staffordshire bull terriers as the "nanny dog" because they are so good with children. Please do not let your ignorance contribute towards the already unhelpful prejudice against certain breeds.

Dog attacks on humans or dogs are statistically very very low. Human attacks on dogs are unacceptably very high.

You suggest in your posting that if you treat a dog right you become its world - that is a fact.

I have a staffordshire bull terrier and have been confronted by people grabbing their children and running off in the opposite direction. I sometimes think if I walked out with a loaded gun in each hand and explosives strapped to my body, I would get no less a reaction.

To suggest the government should take a lead and "ban" certain breeds beggars belief - they've already tried it by banning pitbulls and other breeds and introducing badly crafted legislation in the form of the Dangerous Dogs Act which just leads to confusion and puts the police in a very difficult position.

QUOTE=Michael;234736].
This is very disturbing considering they are called man's best friend..

Some still retain their predatory instinct and if we display prey behaviour it could trigger an attack.

Other dog breeds display aggressive behaviour and attack without warning .

Pit Bull Terriers, Rotweillers and others are much more prone to attack people and young children with fatal consequences.

These pets have attacked and sometimes killed other dogs, other dog owners, and even their own owners.

Dogs generally are faithful companions, loyal, affectionate and ask very little in return other than food,water and a comfortable home

Most dogs accept their owner without question and if you love it and treat it right you are it's world.

They are very loyal and will protect their owner with everything they have regardless of their size.

Perhaps our government over here should take the lead (however painful to owners) and introduce a total ban on the more aggressive breeds.?

.[/QUOTE]
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 01:36 PM

I must admit I don't like the Staffie, type Dogs, and I'd never Dream of having one, but I also know that most of them are just fine. After all a Puppy is not born bad it reacts to life after the Litter and it's man pure and simple who's to blame for a Dog becoming Untrust-worthy.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Yes I'm not mad keen on Staffs either. I also don't like the toy breeds of dog much. I would always have a medium to large breed or crossbreed personally. However one of the great things about dogs is the huge variety of breeds to choose from big and small and I believe there is a dog for everyone. My friend at work has an English Toy Terrier weighing only 4 kg. Another colleague commented that his dog poos bigger than that That sums it up nicely really.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 12:05 AM

Not wishing to be controversial or confrontational but Roxy claims "I must admit I don't like the Staffie, type Dogs" and The Dog Lover states "Yes I'm not mad keen on Staffs either" ... I'm curious - is it your experience of staffies or what you've heard or read about them, as there's an awful lot of prejudice out there.

I rely upon the Kennel club's description as :

"The Staffordshire is one of the most popular of all the terriers. With the human race, he is kindness itself, and his genuine love of children is well known. He is descended from a cross between the Bulldog and a terrier, and thus combines the temperaments of the two breeds."

'nuff said.
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 08:44 AM

[U

This is Jambo, he's Labxstaffy and a gentler friendlier dog would be hard to find
Baxter8
Somerset

13-02-2013, 08:57 AM

It gives me goosebumps when dogs are loved like Jambo is - I love dogs much much more than I do humans. I can tell Jambo is gentle and friendly just by his body posture in that picture.

xx (for Jambo)

Originally Posted by maggis ->
[U

This is Jambo, he's Labxstaffy and a gentler friendlier dog would be hard to find
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 09:34 AM

I .also had 2 cats last year and sadly MC died last year but we've still got his twin brother who's almost 13 yrs old ( DC), when he was 12months old he got a grass seed in his eye and it punctured the eyeball so he had to have it removed but he's a toughie and hopefully I'll have him for many more years As kittens we named them the 2 Ronnies after OH fave show, then it became Mam's cat, and Dad's cat, he and Jambo are great mates
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2013, 11:07 AM

I was catching up with comments on
'The Grumpy Corner' yesterday
and this reply by Clumsy makes very disturbing reading.

Originally Posted by clumsy ->

10-02-2013, 11:39 AM#11
You are quite right Bruce, I think I would rather poison the neighbours than the dog, which after all is a dog and thinks and acts as a dog, however I have just been reading the following article and I think I'm now of the opinion that very expensive annual licences should be imposed on anyone owning any of the dangerous dog breeds.

http://www.ukandspain.com/dangerous-dogs/
If you have not clicked on this previously

I have to warn you that the site contains very graphic images.

http://www.ukandspain.com/dangerous-dogs/

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top