Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Cats - sheesh!

I know I have gone on and on and on about dogs but I have harboured concerns about the cat population for quite a while too. They are killing so much wildlife it is nearly beyond comprehension. How so many creatures, birds especially, can survive such an onslaught takes some consideration. Maybe they are indeed decreasing in numbers all the time - well lets face it they must be. We are not the only country where wildlife is taking an almighty thrashing.

Cats killing billions of animals in the US
(BBC News link)

Not only this but feral cats are now becoming a major issue.

Feral cat population growing in south Buckinghamshire
(BBC News link)

Indigenous wild cat species are also under threat from cross breeding with feral cats.

Scottish wildcat could be extinct 'within two years
(BBC News link)

Again it brings me back to whether we can continue to think we have a god given right to have certain kind of pets.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Re: Cats - sheesh!

But that's what animals do - they kill one another, they always have. Can you really blame people for the behaviour of ferals though? I'm not particularly a cat lover but I don't detest cats.

Learn to share the planet Mark and some of your stress will evaporate
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
But that's what animals do - they kill one another, they always have. Can you really blame people for the behaviour of ferals though? I'm not particularly a cat lover but I don't detest cats.

Learn to share the planet Mark and some of your stress will evaporate
No stress involved . But these topics need to be aired and thought about surely?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:46 AM

OMG I now realise you're simply a wind-up merchant. Do you spend time trawling the internet for these sensational news stories that provide little evidence of what they're talking about!

Really - go get a life - seriously.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Do you spend time trawling the internet for these sensational news stories that provide little evidence of what they're talking about!
Yes .
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:48 AM

OMG I now realise you're simply a wind-up merchant. Do you spend time trawling the internet for these sensational news stories that provide little evidence of what they're talking about!

Really - go get a life - seriously.

Nah ~ it's only attention seeking innit
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2013, 10:52 AM

Dunno what you lot are getting so shirty about. This stuff is all over the news. It is NEWS. Cats are a problem with regard to wildlife big time. Not attempting to wind anyone up at all - honestly, or seeking attention either, just posting news stories that are worthy of discussion - or so I thought .

*ducks head*
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:54 AM

I hadn't realised until recently what a troll was - apparently it is mostly as you say, an attention seeker (often pathological) that deliberately posts anonymously and negatively on websites because of a lack of a real life, in short a saddo with psychiatric damage!

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Nah ~ it's only attention seeking innit
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

26-08-2013, 10:56 AM

I hadn't realised until recently what a troll was - apparently it is mostly as you say, an attention seeker (often pathological) that deliberately posts anonymously and negatively on websites because of a lack of a real life, in short a saddo with psychiatric damage!
I thought I was a 'wum' ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Dunno what you lot are getting so shirty about. This stuff is all over the news. It is NEWS. Cats are a problem with regard to wildlife big time. Not attempting to wind anyone up at all - honestly, or seeking attention either, just posting news stories that are worthy of discussion - or so I thought .

*ducks head*
The problem with cats and this kind of thing is that cats are a law unto themselves - even domestic cats rarely do as they're told. If people stopped owning them, more of them would not have had a trip to to vets for the snip and there'd be even more feral cats! So, maybe owning a cat (in a responsible way) actually keeps the numbers down?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top