Join for free
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:23 AM

Re: Unbelievable - Pregnant Woman Killed By Dogs!

Mups being tied up will certainly be contributing to his over boisterousness. I wonder how much exercise this poor boy gets.

Jazzi I am concerned that you have bruising too. That doesn't necessarily make him aggressive but certainly suggests that nobody has taught him appropriate bite inhibition. My dog when I first got him was always bruising me in play-biting until I showed him what wasn't acceptable - i.e his teeth do NOT come into contact with my skin. Mouthing is a natural response in dogs and one we train out of them.

It doesn't sound to me like you are under immediate threat from this dog but try not to get close to him if his owners aren't around and he is in "guard" mode and again I really do urge you to speak to them and ask that he be fenced off if possible. I know it's a long shot but maybe you could suggest to them that he be exercised more and a training regime be devised for him - that will certainly make him happier and more relaxed.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:25 AM

It's NOT a rescue centre! I've said before, it's just a lady living near my sister in an ordinary house but with masses of room in her back garden to accommodate these animals. It's my wording of 'animal care' because I didn't know how else to put it. True, she does take in some rescue pets in that sense, but it's not a rescue centre you are thinking of.

He does get exercised, as in they do take him for walks and he does have a runabout in the garden. She said he jumps around like on a springboard! He is friendly with her other dogs if they get close.

I do agree with all your concerns and comments, I really do! I asked the lady if she ever feels the need to muzzle him when taking him out. 'Oh no, he won't bite!' Was her reply, and I've seen her being dragged by him along the street (she is small and slight) so I could see how strong he is.

I will talk to her when I next see her and see what we can come up.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Baxter8, he seems a happy dog, but I agree it's not healthy for him to be always tied up. He is probably used as a guard dog in that sense because of the horses and ponies that she has.

I think the lady owner's problem is she can't say no to anybody. He IS an affectionate dog and probably his problem is he craves attention. She does spend a lot of time outside but not 24 hours. Personally, my feeling is that particular home is not suitable for him and yes you are all right in what you say.

They do have a warning notice on the gate.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 08:44 AM

It sounds like this woman has her heart in the right place and I think she is probably right he won't bite anyone. I'm not sure why she has to tie him up and leave him outside though. Does he have shelter?

I personally wouldn't be scared of this dog but then I have a lot of experience with dogs. I wouldn't approach him if his owner wasn't around because it puts the dog in a very difficult position - i.e I'm guarding and she's coming too close.

You could always take a small bag of treats with you - cheese, sausage etc.. and throw bits away from you making him turn around as you slip past.

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
It's NOT a rescue centre! I've said before, it's just a lady living near my sister in an ordinary house but with masses of room in her back garden to accommodate these animals. It's my wording of 'animal care' because I didn't know how else to put it. True, she does take in some rescue pets in that sense, but it's not a rescue centre you are thinking of.

He does get exercised, as in they do take him for walks and he does have a runabout in the garden. She said he jumps around like on a springboard! He is friendly with her other dogs if they get close.

I do agree with all your concerns and comments, I really do! I asked the lady if she ever feels the need to muzzle him when taking him out. 'Oh no, he won't bite!' Was her reply, and I've seen her being dragged by him along the street (she is small and slight) so I could see how strong he is.

I will talk to her when I next see her and see what we can come up.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

22-12-2013, 09:03 AM

He has a kennel. Our mutual friend once suggested treats. Again I'll talk to the owner when I see her. Maybe I can buy a bag of dog treats and use them to gain his trust more. I just think he is being a typical dog and wants you to be with him. When I do pet him he's fine, as I said he offers his back to me for stroking.

I've been going there weekly for a good few months now so he does know me and that I mean no harm to his owner.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2013, 04:33 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about him being outside all the time - if he was raised from a pup to be an outdoor dog, it won't bother him. My last rescue dog (a Springer working dog) was also an outside dog and it was a devil of a job getting him to come inside! Every time the backdoor opened, he'd race out, he just felt more comfortable outside. I think the only reason he's now happy indoors is because my younger dogs comes inside, he knows there are cuddles going when I'm watching telly and, maybe more importantly, he knows food originates from inside the house

When the weather is nice, he will still choose to stay outside (until it gets dark).

Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 15 16 17

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top