Join for free
Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 09:48 PM

Re: Unbelievable - Pregnant Woman Killed By Dogs!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't worry it won't happen again you are back on ignore now.
Lol. Uber .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Me personally? I would never own a Pit. I know, I know.. Pitbull enthusiasts claim they are gentle and sweet and that meanness has to be taught.. BUT... it's a known fact that certain traits go with certain breeds. Like the herding dogs.. they WILL herd.. and chase cars. Retrievers will point and retrieve... hounds will hunt. Dogs have triggers, and one never knows what will set off a trigger. Pits can be aggressive to other animals.. in this case the seizure was the trigger for the attack directed at a person. I have cats and small dogs. A Pit... no matter HOW gentle someone claims, would not be trusted in my home.

I have adopted many shelter dogs.. They always try to get me to take a pit.. or "Staffie" or AMStaff.. aka American Staffordshire terrier. no matter what you call it... it's a pitbull IMO.. I say.. no.. no pitbulls and they look at me like I'm being unfair.. I don't think so.

Audrey, I am a huge dog lover, but I do agree with you on this one. Different breeds have different traits as you say, and prospective owners should be aware of that fact.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:53 PM

It is beyond my understanding why anyone would have pitbull type dogs at all. For sure they may appear friendly, but the problem is that if they, for whatever reason, decide to be unfriendly then disaster strikes, they are extremely powerful and have extremely strong jaws, you quite simply don't stand a chance against them. As some of you may remember we had some Russians move into the house behind us along with a pitbull x staffie. They are still there and since the first days when the dog would hurl itself at our fence it has obviously got used to us and our voices and actually comes to the fence whining for our two little dogs. Oh he looks nice and friendly then, but, let him hear a strange voice in our back garden and he hurls himself at the fence barking and snarling. At the present time the Russians are in the process of building a high wall at the front of the house they rent because a few months ago their next door neighbour on the road outside their house had to park her car in front of their, then low wall, due to roads being dug up, and Bova, the dog, jumped up the wall and bit her quite badly on her arm. The police came and of course wanted to see the dog's paperwork, which evidently was in order but they were not happy with the premises, hence this new high wall going up. Presumably the owner of the house has given permission for this wall, but who knows, he is back living in Wales. The police insisted on the matter going through the courts and already there has been one hearing, there will be another one sooner or later, nothing moves very fast here. I also have a friend in Texas who has happily allowed her 15 year old son to have a Pitbull, in my opinion a disaster waiting to happen and to be honest I am amazed that she even considered allowing him to own this dog. I think it is very irresponsible and quite frankly downright stupidity.

As for it being a matter of how the dog is treated, I can't agree with that either, some dogs are sweet natured, some are not, some are downright cranky and always will be and if you happen to come across a cranky pitbull type dog, Akita, Mastiff, whatever, that gets upset at something, then you are in big trouble. Such dogs should never be considered as family pets, not ever. I know some will disagree and I love dogs, well all animals actually, but I would no more consider owning, or having on my property, any such dog any more than I would own a full grown Lion. Such dogs are disasters waiting to happen and should only ever be in the control of experts, i.e. military etc.
tomcat
Bristol uk
tomcat is male  tomcat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 11:59 PM

My next door neighbour has just bought a ..English Mastiff ..now about a year old .A big dog ..leant on the dividing
fence and pushed it over ..I am beginning to feel a little dubious about it
can someone please tell me about the traits of these ..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->

Why should I? Just because we don't see eye to eye don't mean we can't argue. Trouble is with your mindset it is totally closed off to any outside interference - as in brain washed. This really is why I have taken to being semi offensive as it is obvious that you are another of the 'door knockers' I get around here with one idea and one idea only. I could spend hours discussing stuff with these door knockers, freeze my goolies off in the process, and they would be none the wiser for it - or me. Total stalemate and is akin to bashing one's head against a brick wall.
Excuse me - this is beginning to feel very uncomfortable. May we stick to the subject and not attack fellow posters.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Excuse me - this is beginning to feel very uncomfortable. May we stick to the subject and not attack fellow posters.
Yes, I agree. I'm afraid we have a case of opposing personalities and mindsets where we end up at loggerheads on certain subjects - dogs and religion. I can't tolerate her replies and she can't mine. I'm at fault here mainly, though not totally. Apart from these altercations brought on by the topic subject we get on fine.

Anyway she has put me on ignore again now so presumably no more arguments.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by tomcat ->
My next door neighbour has just bought a ..English Mastiff ..now about a year old .A big dog ..leant on the dividing
fence and pushed it over ..I am beginning to feel a little dubious about it
can someone please tell me about the traits of these ..

Either look on the Kennel Club website under the appropriate breed, or google the specific breed club info.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-12-2013, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Quite right ST.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:31 PM

clumsy ..i totally agree with everything you've said...everyone has their own opinions and thinks differently about this breed of dogs....but too many lives have been lost or people scarred for life...i personally don't think they have a place in a family home...as you say each and every dog has a different nature...i would never feel safe being near one...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2013, 12:38 PM

It's all down to picking the right dog for you and your circumstances isn't it really, not just the breed you like the look of. We scaled down when it became obvious another medium/large dog would not be possible for me to walk safely. And best decision we made as a Chihuahua will be able to be walked easily by me for many more years.

But this case as I was saying earlier was more about an epileptic who knew her dog was dangerous to her which poses a question - how do we ensure people don't make these mistakes ?

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top