Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Re: Are Seagulls a menace ?

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Did you not learn something after the first occasion, and did the messages pre-date the swoop.
The messages are more often than not dropped while I'm walking, Paul . Maybe a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 01:06 AM

They are a menace,earlier in the year, when they are nesting above the building and make a racket from 4 am onwards. However, that's what they do
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 01:18 AM

Many years ago, I used to sometimes go and stay with a friend down in Penzance. I would hear the seagulls early in the morning, but I loved it.
There again, I also loved to hear my various cockerels crowing each day, and even knew who was who by their differenct 'voices', plus my aviaries of budgies chatting away at first light, so I guess that means I'm a bit weird.

Give me the sound of birds to the sound of traffic anyday.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 01:21 AM

You're not weird at all Mups. Don't say that! I just can't believe the noise the lot of them make. They'd waken the dead

When I was at my partner's at the weekend I could hear an owl in the woods. That tickled me! Don't hear anything like that in the town.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 10:13 AM

Well as you might have guessed I love them.
I am going in an hour to feed what I call my flock.
There are different kinds of gulls and the big Herring gulls
you find at the seaside areas are a lot different to the flock
of gulls I feed. They are the smaller type called Lesser Gulls
They know me and I feed them every October to March up
on the field near me. They only make a noise when they
see me walking to the field and when I get their bag of
food out. I have never been pooped on and there are over
a hundred now as three flocks have joined together.
I suppose it helps that they know me and have been feeding
them now for 7 years in Winter so they can spot me out of
a crowd. They are not a daft bird but very intelligent.
Sorry people have had bad events with them but I truly love
them. Hence the money I spend on their bread, fish, cat food,
oxo and fish gravy etc that I give them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 10:36 AM

We are quite a way in land but have a lot here, they come for the landfill site and the lake, TBH I think any animal if there are too many of them can become a nuisance. Biggest nuisance of all are humans ! But the seagulls we get here are rather nice, elegant and not a nuisance at all, but if we go to the sea side we can well see why anyone living amongst them would find them annoying.

One thing - if we as humans were cleaner we wouldn't attract some of these creatures to be among us, when we go to the sea side the litter is being picked over by the birds and as I said here they come for our rubbish. So it's our fault they are here really.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Just an observation that those that don't find them a nuisance are those that don't encounter them on a daily basis and see them at a distance. For others - they are a nuisance. I love the sound of them except when they are in a frenzy
Where I lived before, a terraced house, we had them nesting in peoples chimneys, we covered ours to deter them.
Now, we have them in a play field opposite, crowds of them circle our building and it is frightening at times.
Some people get attacked going into their gardens
So its all down to whether they 'are' a nuisance to you .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:21 AM

Fair comments Patsy. They have never dive-bombed me or attacked me, so I guess that is why I see it differently.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:41 AM

So who is the bigger menace. ? RSPB information states.

All seven breeding gull species are birds of conservation concern. The herring gull is now red listed due to the severe declines in its national breeding population, and the other species are amber listed for differing reasons. The Mediterranean gull is the only species whose numbers are currently not declining.

So who is it that overfishes their sea, who has taken and built upon their natural breeding sites? and now wonder why their instinct to survive is stronger. ?

Sorry to those of you who have lost a sarnie,or had one crap on you, perhaps they are passing comment on the Human race, they do not attack unless the are in fear of a predator, or in defense of their nest, even then its more likely to be divebombing until your away.

Ive stood in more dog and cat crap on my 60+ years on planet, still to hear of a person dying of a gull attack, unlike dogs, and as for wildlife cats are a real menace killing for killings sake.

Ive probably seen more Seagulls than the rest of you put together, and ive yet to meet one i could not knock out with a single punch, so a menace no, perhaps a minor irritant from time too time. What is not. ?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Nom - I fully see from your point of view, always loved the gulls in their environment - its not 'our' fault that they have chosen the streets to now live.
I feel for them, of course I do - but it is just a discussion on them, nothing more - I would never harm them or any other creature.
I wouldn't want monkeys making their home here either, I still like them though - and so the list goes on .......
To all Seagull lovers, I meant no offence by the thread, just observing the problems .........

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top