Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Re: Wildlife you have seen 2015.

We have a lot of the usual garden birds & the heron is still hoping to find fish in the pond, but it has eaten them all.
We also have a pair of Herring Gulls & for the past 3 years they have tried to nest on the roof, which is totally unsuited to any sort of nest. They bring bits & pieces of stuff, which never stays in place, their usual perch is the vent for the central heating & this stuff they place behind the pipe. It is quite funny to watch them. I feel they could be a young pair & possibly just practicing as I have never seen them mate.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
We have a lot of the usual garden birds & the heron is still hoping to find fish in the pond, but it has eaten them all.
We also have a pair of Herring Gulls & for the past 3 years they have tried to nest on the roof, which is totally unsuited to any sort of nest. They bring bits & pieces of stuff, which never stays in place, their usual perch is the vent for the central heating & this stuff they place behind the pipe. It is quite funny to watch them. I feel they could be a young pair & possibly just practicing as I have never seen them mate.
Often the case with young pairs Tiffany, choosing bad nest sites. They generally learn from the experience over time, ive been watching a pair for several years, and they pairbond but have yet to nest.

Several Goosander, Goldeneye still on my local Lake today, soon to be gone and hopefully the Great-crested grebes will be back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2015, 11:40 PM

This not a 'birdy' post, but pleased me nevertheless.
I was driving along a country lane a couple of days back, and a big hare shot across the road in front of me. He was so fast, I didn't see what it was for a second, but when he got to the other grass verge he stopped, sat down and looked at me, before disappearing through the hedgerow again.
That really pleased me.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This not a 'birdy' post, but pleased me nevertheless.
I was driving along a country lane a couple of days back, and a big hare shot across the road in front of me. He was so fast, I didn't see what it was for a second, but when he got to the other grass verge he stopped, sat down and looked at me, before disappearing through the hedgerow again.
That really pleased me.
Not all about birds but wildlife Mups, love hares cracking mammals, one of my dreams is to photograph Hares boxing, they really make the fur fly.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 12:25 AM

Thanks Nom, it was a joy to see. I hope your dream comes true for you soon.

By the way, I have noticed some birds pairing up, so I started putting the dogs woolly clippings out for any early nest building today.

Is it a bit too early do you think?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 01:09 AM

Thanks, Nom. I love all wildlife, but birds are my thing.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

10-02-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Nom, it was a joy to see. I hope your dream comes true for you soon.

By the way, I have noticed some birds pairing up, so I started putting the dogs woolly clippings out for any early nest building today.

Is it a bit too early do you think?
Far from it Mups saw a Tree sparrow building a nest in January, and if the weather is warmer many species can start earlier than usual.

Still only a few in song up here but several species in display mode.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 11:23 AM

In the oak tree outside my living room window I believe we saw young wood peckers yesterday, if that is what they are it will be first young we have seen here in 5 years. So quite exciting !
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

10-02-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
In the oak tree outside my living room window I believe we saw young wood peckers yesterday, if that is what they are it will be first young we have seen here in 5 years. So quite exciting !
Interesting Julie, cant rule it out, but another possibility is they could be Lesser-spotted woodpecker, rare now but Surrey still has them, they are tiny birds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-02-2015, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Far from it Mups saw a Tree sparrow building a nest in January, and if the weather is warmer many species can start earlier than usual.

Still only a few in song up here but several species in display mode.

O.K. Thanks very much.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top