Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Re: Crufts

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Like the little Spaniel, Carry, Meg. She looks a sweetie.
They do exaggerate the length of the ears on the show types though don't they.
A friend of mine has bred working cockers and springers for over 60 odd years, and they are completely different size, shape and ears. They are working dogs when all's said and done, and they'd soon damage big ears like that if they had to work.
Having said that, Carry's got a lovely expression. I like her.
Mups Carry went to stay with a gamekeeper on a big estate in Lancashire and got her working certificate in addition to being a Show Champion with many CCs.

She had a number of litters and some of her puppies went to work on estates as gundogs while others were shown ...
This was part of one of those litters and they were all show dogs.
Lucy Rolly and Bobby.

Carrys mother Tess ...
...was bred by the daughter of this genleman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._S._Lloyd
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 10:53 AM

I rescued a dog aged 8 which had been bred by one of the top breeders in the country . I got her on the day she was to be PTS .
I knew who the breeder and owner for 8 years was so when I saw she was one of the top judges at Crufts I went up and introduced myself and told her I now had the dog . She was not in the least interested .
That said it all about Crufts for me .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
I rescued a dog aged 8 which had been bred by one of the top breeders in the country . I got her on the day she was to be PTS .
I knew who the breeder and owner for 8 years was so when I saw she was one of the top judges at Crufts I went up and introduced myself and told her I now had the dog . She was not in the least interested .
Perhaps it says more about the breeder than the show Abbey.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Perhaps it says more about the breeder than the show Abbey.

Yes but I don't believe she was in any way unusual .
The breeders who do care are the ones who are unusual .
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 04:37 PM

There's been quite a lot in the media about the foreign owners and breeders who are now coming over for Crufts. One of the headlines amused me.."Coming over here stealing our prizes...."
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2015, 05:44 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;619052]Mups Carry went to stay with a gamekeeper on a big estate in Lancashire and got her working certificate in addition to being a Show Champion with many CCs.

She had a number of litters and some of her puppies went to work on estates as gundogs while others were shown ...
This was part of one of those litters and they were all show dogs.

QUOTE]

Well you know more about the breed than I do Meg, and I'll not dispute they look nice dogs, but I have never seen a worker with the very long ears down this way, honestly.

I have never understood why they dock their tails, when I'd have thought they are far more likely to get the long ears torn on brambles than the tail - assuming they go in head first and not bum first.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I
It's an obsession more than a hobby with some people.

I have always said, and still do, dogs shows are for the owners prestige, another rosette means nothing to the dog.
And as for so many being benched on their own a lot of the time, this is why it could be so easy to 'knobble' a dog that looks likely to win the class. Not unheard of
- same as in horse racing.

Well it seems it's happened again.
Don't know the full story yet, but just heard a bit on the news that another dog, an Irish Red Setter, is suspected of being poisoned at Crufts this year.

This is exactly what I meant earlier when I said winning becomes an obsession with some people. What kind of sicko wants to win bad enough to harm another animal?
I can't begin to tell you how much this disgusts me.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 09:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...gham-31787558#
Shocking.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2015, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Abbey ->
Yes Abbey, from all that I've read the very top show breeders are a callous and ignorant bunch, stories of the deception and dirty tricks that they get up too shock me, and now it seems another dog has been left alone at the show and been poisened, how could anyone do that let alone someone at the show.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-03-2015, 12:59 AM

I really really don't like people "showing" dogs. I have a dog as a companion and we interact with each other. It seems that an awful lot of dogs bred for shows don't have that same interaction, and I just can't see the point. It strikes me as a bit like those parents who enter their little girls into beauty contests. Sorry, but I think it implies something wrong with the relationship between dog and owner.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top