Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 03:05 PM

Re: Crufts

Originally Posted by Emma27 ->
That's a bit heartless
Why is it heartless Emma? No-one could have fed poor Jagger poisoned meat if someone had been with him.
Emma27
New Member!
Manchester
Emma27 is female 

12-03-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
Why is it heartless Emma? No-one could have fed poor Jagger poisoned meat if someone had been with him.

Your outlook is heartless I felt, people make mistakes all of the time, its not the owners fault someone decided to come and poison their dog, they probably assumed that everyone there was as dog mad as they were.
You blame the owner instead of the criminal
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 07:04 PM

I'm giving my opinion, not making judgements! Reading some of the other posters experiences and comments it would seem that not all owners/breeders are as caring as we might wish them to be.
Most of my sympathy goes to the dogs, they are at the mercy of their owners for good or ill.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 07:16 PM

Of course the criminal is to blame, but if you have a living being that is totally dependent on your care, then surely you don't leave that living being in a situation where it might possibly come to harm. We all have to take some responsibility for living beings that are dependent on us taking care of them and ensuring that they are not left in situations where they can be harmed or even stolen.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Of course the criminal is to blame, but if you have a living being that is totally dependent on your care, then surely you don't leave that living being in a situation where it might possibly come to harm. We all have to take some responsibility for living beings that are dependent on us taking care of them and ensuring that they are not left in situations where they can be harmed or even stolen.

Dog theft is big business now, and getting worse all the time, frightens the life out of me.
They are being stolen from cars, gardens and even people's houses. And still some idiots leaved them tied up outside the supermarkets!
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 12:18 PM

Dog theft is indeed big business Mups. We have friends here whose Boxer puppy was stolen from their garden, someone literally reached over the wall and took it. The builders were due to begin building the wall higher the next day. We also had a little dog here overnight, a Norwegian neighbour found it tied up outside a supermarket, the supermarket put out a message in the shop asking if anyone had left it, other people said it had been there all morning, so she took it to the vet, not microchipped, her two dogs attacked it so she asked if we could keep it overnight, we did. It turned out it belonged to a Russian woman, she had tied it up outside the supermarket and then left it there whilst she went off to other shops! We have a very secure garden, high walls and locked gates, but even so we like ChoCho to be in sight when she is out there, perhaps I´m neurotic but I like to know where she is at all times.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 12:22 AM

Just read of another poor dog stolen not far from here. A five year old Saluki. The owner tied it up outside the fish & chip shop while she went in.

I've just read an awful article about a stolen Bulldog. The owner finally tracked him down and had to pay £1200 to the bloke who bought him from the thieves, to get his dog back. This dog was microchipped and logged with the chip company as stolen, but on recovering his dog, the owner decided to 'test the system' and took his dog to a different vet to his usual one, to test if microchips were ever checked with new clients. Bearing in mind the Bulldog was still of officially registered as a missing dog, the owner was not happy this vet didn't even check the chip when registering his new client. The owner then asked for his dog to be scanned, but when it was eventually done, the vet still didn't pick up that it was officially logged as stolen!!

As it says in this article, "a bit part of the problem of dog theft is stealing family dogs in a low-risk, high gain crime, and regarded as no more serious than theft of a mobile phone, in the eyes of the law. They are "objects", not living creatures. So prosecutions are few and prison sentences almost unheard of".
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 07:32 AM

I never leave my boys tied up.. Quite apart from the theft risk there are some awful storys of abuse to dogs that are left unattended.
The other problem is with the hype about devil dogs you never could be sure that some little darling wouldnt poke the dog and then claim the dog attacked out of the blue.
So it could end up costing the dog it life.

Its all a long way from the days when you could leave the dog tied up outside the shop or the baby outside the postoffice in his pram while you popped in...

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top