Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:33 PM

A bit of a low mood tonight . . .

I've got a horrible depressing feeling my oldest dog is not much longer for this world.

All of us with pets will know how hard it is to make that phone call to arrange the evil deed, and I find no matter how many times I have had to do it over the years, it never, ever gets any easier, or hurts any less.

This wonderful old lady was 17 in June, so I know its on the cards, and lately she been going downhill.
I will never let her suffer if I think she's had enough, but neither do I want to make the decision before its absolutely necessary.
I keep hoping she will go gently in her sleep, as she is so frightened of the vet, whether I take her there, or whether he comes here, she is still frightened, and I don't want her last thoughts to be of fear.

She sleeps most of the time now, and her legs are getting very stiff, and she is almost totally deaf. But she is still the sweetest, kindest natured old soul in the world, and it breaks my heart to have to make this decision soon.

It is such a responsibility to take a life. I don't like having to decide for her. I wish I could talk to her and ask her what she wants, and let her decide, instead of me.

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit depressing, but the fact is - it is, and I can't pretty it up.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 11:59 PM

Re: A bit of a low mood tonight . . .

Mups I've been there with my two cats, I'd had them for almost 20 years, the boy became ill first, found he had cancer and only had weeks to live, I was devastated to say the least!

When he became too poorly to be able to walk I knew what I had to do..it was a heart breaking decision to have him put to sleep but it had to be done.

Soon after my girl too became poorly, she kept falling over until she could hardly walk, I knew she missed him, they were partners in crime and I felt she was giving up on life, she looked so sad and yet again I had to make the decision that it was best to let her go than see her in so much pain.

It's never going to be easy to let go, you have to feel it's the right thing to do for your old lady only when the time is right, if she's not suffering and just sleeping more I'd be tempted to turn a blind eye until you feel she's had enough and given up
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 12:13 AM

I know exactly how you feel Mups. My little dog is nearly 14 one vet said earlier this year he has testicular cancer, when I took him back another vet said he needed tests for Cushings, which were positive. That needs to be sorted first before he can be castrated to stop the cancer spreading. He's getting very stiff and tired and whines a lot, he can't decide whether he's hungry or wants to go outside. I'm wondering whether it's going to be too much for him to have an operation.
It's very, very distressing to have to decide whether they're suffering is too much to bear.
My daughter had her old lurcher pts earlier this year and remembering how distressing that was is making it worse for me.
I hope when the time comes we'll know what's right, thinking of you x
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

It is such a responsibility to take a life. I don't like having to decide for her. I wish I could talk to her and ask her what she wants, and let her decide, instead of me.
Been there many times now with pussycat members of the household and the last two times I was alone.

My Vet, someone I had never met before, was able to reassure me about how my cats were feeling and that was an enormous help. It lifted the burden somewhat and released me from the pressure, the dilemma.

Hugs ....
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 01:57 AM

I'm so sorry Mups, I know it's one of the hardest choices we have to make in this life. My Sophie is probably around 10, possibly older we don't know. Her dark muzzle has gone gray even her eyelashes. Only you know when it's time to say goodbye. But it absolutely breaks your heart.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 03:47 AM

Mups I feel for you. I am going through exactly the same with my old girl.,I was told i needed to make a decision in January, but didn't. Glad I didn't because she perked back up. A couple of weeks ago, on the day of my Golden Wedding party she couldn't get up and was urinating uncontrollably , I thought we had reached the end. She has perked up again. It's such a roller coaster and like you feel it so difficult to know when the time is right. I have had so many animals but it always different circumstances for each. Like you I pray for a clear cut decision, to go in her sleep. Out of dozens of pets only one left me , and made her own decision to go, and passed away before the vet could come. I take the rejection of food, and that certain look in their eye as part of my guide. The hardest was an 8 year old with cancer. I wish you all the best as you travel this awful road, but remember you are not alone as its a road many of us are sharing at present, although it's still very personal to ourselves.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 06:30 AM

So sorry for you Mups xx
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 06:41 AM

All of us pet owners can relate to your pain Mups, it's always a tough call but we know you will do the right thing when the time comes.
Bug ((((HUGS)))) to you both.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 07:46 AM

I'm so sorry to hear that MUPS, its the hardest thing in the world having to make a decision, I wish you luck.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Been there many times and you would think it would get easier to make that decision but somehow it gets harder .

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top