Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 08:25 AM

Re: A bit of a low mood tonight . . .

So sorry for you Mups been there ourselves previously, not sure if it would help but our vet will give a sedative to be given at home before you take them to the vet, it really knocks them out so they don't get scared, he has also PTS one of ours in the car in their car park, she was always fine in the car having a complete breakdown in the surgery so he said it would be calmer in the car. Have to say that time was really good for her as she loved being in the car so we felt she died in one of her favourite places.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 08:56 AM

She sleeps most of the time now, and her legs are getting very stiff, and she is almost totally deaf. But she is still the sweetest, kindest natured old soul in the world, and it breaks my heart to have to make this decision soon.

It is such a responsibility to take a life. I don't like having to decide for her. I wish I could talk to her and ask her what she wants, and let her decide, instead of me.
Mups I have a criteria for deciding when it is time and it is this, is my dog still getting some pleasure from life and are they in a lot of pain.
If the answer are yes and no I carry on.

The last older dog I had PTS Amy aged 16 had CCD (canine cognitive disorder) and was in her own little world but happy and not showing signs of pain.
She slept most of the day and would wander around at night going in and out of the dog door and standing by my bed 'huffing' for attention. I used to get up and make a cup of tea and sit with her for a while before settling her back down. No hardship for me after 16 years of a lovely friendship.
She could still eat and enjoy her life going for little walks in the field at her own pace.
When she stopped eating and was reluctant to get out of her bed I knew it was time...
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 08:56 AM

So sorry to hear this Mups...I know you will do your very best for her .Hugs to you both (((((hugs)))))x
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Oh Mups..I really do know how you are feeling...

My little one Remy was PTS on aug 28 just gone. We think he had a brain tumour .. He was just 10.
Benny our beagle is 14 and yes he has some fat lumps and is blind but so happy in his own world off the lead most days finding his way around with the help of that famous beagle nose and me using a clicking sound..

I know every day with him is a bonus and that we cant take anything for granted now.

If dogs have one flaw its that they dont live forever ...all I can say is I sometimes wonder if its the love they give that wears them out so soon..
I know thats not scientific but sometimes thats the way it feels.
Damn now Im crying again,
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Been there oh so many times in the last 40 years or more with more than one dog at a time. It is about the hardest thing to bear loosing ones pet, don't I just know it, but the time does come in the end and and the kindness decision is the best. When gone it leaves such a huge hole in ones life it is unbelievable

The Rainbows Bridge Poem

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:31 AM

I truly feel for you Mups, it is a heartbreaking decision to have to make. It is a year this month since we had to have little Muffin put to sleep and although I know that in his case there really was no choice I didnīt want him to go that way but he was in so much pain and distress there was no choice for me to make.

If your lovely old lady is not suffering and just wants to sleep then hopefully she will pass in her sleep, but when her time comes she will go knowing just how much she was loved and cared for and that you gave her the best life she could possibly have had. I donīt know what else to say, I know well how you must be feeling and I am so sorry.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 10:55 AM

Lost my little fella in appalling circumstances and even now wish that things had been different so that my memory of his last moments would be better, instead of the haunting ones I have.

My thoughts are with you and your lady Mups
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Mups i can really understand how you must be feeling it would break my heart if i had to let my little Cavapoo Henry go. Thinking off you Mups.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 05:41 PM

I just want to thank everyone for their kind words, thoughts, and hugs, it is a comfort - thankyou.

Julie, I went to talk to my vet today, just on my own. I asked his advice about a sedative for me to administer before he visits us, but he didn't think that such a good idea, because it does something to their blood pressure which can make it more difficult for them to PTS. I wasn't prepared to risk this, as I know from past experience it can be difficult enough as it is, with the oldies because of their veins for the needle, so I didn't want to risk making it even trickier. He agreed.
What we decided was an "anti-anxiety" drug, Diazapan, which should quieten her and make her less stressed, but without knocking her out. This is what he has given me now, and has left it up to me to ring him when I feel the time is right, then he will come out.
I have perfect trust in the man and feel that is probably the best I can do for her.
Thankyou for trying to help.
Celyn
Hampshire
Celyn is female  Celyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Mups that is the best course of action. Your vet is quite right about the sedative and so obviously has your dogs best interests at heart. A very wise move to go and have that talk beforehand. I hope that you will still have your little friend with you a while longer. Can I send you a hug too?

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top