Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:11 AM

Salmon Jumping

Hi

I am very fortunate where I live to be able to see this every year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-34612746

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddes...ir-in-pictures

The fish are now spawning on the redds. another beautiful sight, which I will unfortunately miss this year due to being on crutches at the moment.

Shrewsbury is an amazing place for wildlife, Kingfishers are common and it must be the only place in the UK where you can look over the wall of an ASDA car park and see otters.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:24 AM

Re: Salmon Jumping

Thanks swimfeeder, the guardian's pics were very good. I've seen film on telly of salmon doing that, it's quite a spectacle isn't it.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:38 AM

I've seen them leaping in the Clunie (tributary of the Dee) in Braemar. We're fortunate to have a couple of the top Salmon rivers here.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 10:43 AM

Great news swimfeeder, in particular the return of Salmon into the River Dove. This is the decline in the British Isles I often mention in my posts, but alas people always respond with immigration and such-like. I guess that is townie thinking, views from the concrete jungle.
Amazing that once Salmon were considered vermin on the River Thames and fed to the Apprentices in those times, so thick in numbers that folk suggested a person could walk across the river on there backs.
Somewhere I have pics I took of Salmon leaping up the Conway River.
Alas Sussex does not have the crystal clear waters of our adjacent Hampshire, so alas no Salmon. However our muddy rivers do have surprising good runs of Sea Trout. In the upper reaches where these short rivers can be little more than ditches and a few inches deep , Sea Trout make their way to spawn, even large numbers are not noticed by passing people and very few with luck know that they are there.
The Otters reintroduced into our rivers I am out on as times have changed since they were lost to our rivers. No longer do the rivers have the fish that once sustained them, eels , small roach etc. So now the Otter will turn on other things much more valuable like large Barbel and Wildfowl, depleting the rivers only further.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2015, 06:20 PM

dukeofearl
south coast uk

13-11-2015, 07:08 PM

Such a good thread, then such a waste that it was not followed up. We will see .........
dukeofearl
south coast uk

13-11-2015, 09:37 PM

Well Swimfeeder, you start a great thread and clear off, which I find normal for the townies but not a keen fisherman like yourself.

We in West Sussex do not have your quality of rivers and are the very poor relation to Hampshire next door which is blessed with the magnificent Chalk Streams . Our rivers with the exception of the Western Rother, our little gem all run both ways as they are tidal. The Largest of these is the River Arun which is tidal as far as 22 miles plus, passing such delightful towns as Arundel. Entering at Littlehampton from the sea it becomes one of the fastest flowing rivers in the UK, and a Spring Tide will soon fill its deep muddy banks until the water is rustling in the tall reed banks which are high dredged out. Hence it is hard to fish but does contain huge bass, carp, pike, roach, bream, perch , dace, chub, Barbel and a decent run of Sea Trout which mainly turn into the River Rother just before the bridge below.
I was at Stopham Bridge today having a meal, some 20 miles upstream, once a pike hunting ground for myself. Once the main-road it now lies quiet, a deserved rest having been built around 1250.

dukeofearl
south coast uk

14-11-2015, 08:53 PM

The lovely little Western Sussex Rother which meets the River Arun just below Stopham Bridge. While small here the angler can fish in hope of a 15lb Barbel, landing it is another matter.
Also at one point in time this river produced a British Record Chub. Not forgetting a good run of Sea Trout.
One hopes that the invasion of Japanese Knot weed can be controlled.

And what is that some may ask.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

14-11-2015, 09:06 PM

WHO NEEDS BORING PEOPLE when you have friends on the river.

dukeofearl
south coast uk

14-11-2015, 09:31 PM

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top