Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2015, 11:22 PM

Re: Salmon Jumping

Back on the River Arun at Greatham . This is the centre section, far inland and still subjected to strong tides . Wild and little fished, what better place for an angler on a cold Winter's morning with not a human in sight. Here on such days the frosts will have frozen the grasses which crunch beneath the anglers feet as he walks the banks Pike spinning. Silence only broken by the sudden flush of a wildfowl from the sedges or the flush of a startled fox.

Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 12:47 AM

Wonderful thread, thank you.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
Wonderful thread, thank you.
Thank you Moyra, pleased you like the blessing that nature brings us. Much more to come.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2015, 11:44 AM

I have only seen salmon jump once or twice and that was a very long time ago-Pitlochry?. I miss eels-they were once so common one could catch and eat one with no worry,now they are scarce
dukeofearl
south coast uk

15-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
I have only seen salmon jump once or twice and that was a very long time ago-Pitlochry?. I miss eels-they were once so common one could catch and eat one with no worry,now they are scarce
Agree Older Git, even eels are in massive decline , one reason as I posted , think twice before introducing otters back into rivers when their food source is no longer there.

Have more to post .
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 01:02 AM

I was thinking of a smart arse reply to this blog, but I couldn't. As an avid fisher, I am saddened by the depletion of our fish stocks, world wide. A great topic. Thank you.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

16-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Hi Bruce, glad we have another fisherman on the forum. I could not agree more with your concern and as written such declines are part of why I am saddened by the loss of a England I once cherished and loved. The need here to build more roads and cover the countryside in concrete from where the pollution from cars and modern pesticides find their way into our rivers.
I started fishing from the beach at a young age, that would never be allowed now. First however living on the South Coast the heavy barb wire and the mines had to be removed at the end of the War.
However even in the 1955-60 era our rivers were always lined with fishermen and fish were there in plenty. Now a angler can fish all day and never see another angler on the banks. This I believe is due to TV and the PC etc, poor substitutes for fresh air, poor substitutes for living in my opinion.
However I believe the fish are still there, just personal health now stops me testing out my theory. Strange it may seem, that when working every spare moment was spent on the river bank and now with all the time in the world none, well I never had Peripheral neuropathy then I guess. Plus our river banks slope steep and very slippery and a person is alone. Further to please the masses and reduce flooding the heart has been torn out of our rivers, the once tree lined banks of willows and overhanging trees have been ripped out, and the banks dug steep and high by mans machinery . No longer exists holding places for fish and its food to live and breed, rather we have lifeless banks to hold back racing waters , faceless places. This is called progress, the need to protect property that should never have been built in the wrong places to start with. Such is the greed of man.
However I have diverted from my journey, will be going back to the little River Rother later with its historic connections.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 11:51 AM

Hi

Apologies for leaving the thread Duke, my mind has been elsewhere recently.

Normally, at this time of year I am out nearly every day on the rivers and my local canals, the fish hole up in the deeper water ready for winter and the best time for the chance of a huge Barbel if the water temperature is right.

My local canal, the Llangollen is very clean and has a good flow, the feeder streams are crystal clear and the canal is home to some lovely Grayling and Brown Trout.

I had a Grayling of 3lb 1 oz and a Brownie of 5lb 13oz in March this year, trotting a worm for the big Perch.

I am no great photographer, but will try to get some when I can get out again.

The problem here is not the Otters, but vast numbers of Cormorants, they really have made a difference.

Fishing is a strange business, I have never caught a 2lb Roach, plenty very close, but never the magical weight.

Some years ago I took my brother in law for his first ever fishing trip on a river.

The Severn in Shrewsbury.

My favourite swim, set him up with a stickfloat, first run down, hardly 10 yards, down went the float and his first ever fish from a river was a Roach, 2lb 10oz.

I had to see the funny side of it.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

16-11-2015, 05:39 PM

Nice to see you back on your thread Swimfeeder and a interesting post. Will respond ASAP ...
dukeofearl
south coast uk

16-11-2015, 08:26 PM

Hi Swimfeeder, I remember Shrewsbury from passing down here from my cottage in North Wales. I hope I am not mixing it with Telford as it sticks in my mind how the main road is just a mass of daffodils in the Spring. Guess also we all remember the dreadful flood problems, are they resolved?
Without question you are far better served with good river fishing than our muddy streams provide. Once I believe the River Arun could produce for a angler the prize of a 2lb Roach but those hey-days are perhaps a thing of the past.
However your fishing sounds brilliant in quality and diversity.

Regarding beginners luck. My younger brother a few years back, out of the blue, asked if I would take him Pike fishing as he had never tried it. Problem for me was that I had long stopped Coarse Fishing for a number of years due to health problems. However I decided to take him at least lure fishing on a upper stretch of the small River Adur. Still muddy and tidal. With some good fortune before he became bored I caught two smallish pike and one Seatrout.
Later on when glancing up I noticed his spinning rod was bent over to such a degree that it was close to breaking. This was followed by a huge roll in the water that looked like a pig was hooked on his lure. Alas at this point in time the 26lb braid I had put on his reel snapped like cotton. Great shame as the river is know to hold fish to 35lb, a fact most like to keep quiet about. I believe from what I observed that this is what he had hooked, the fish of a life-time. Alas , perhaps my fault his reel clutch was screwed down tight and alas he did not have the experience to let the fish run.
Sod,s Law what, like the 2lb 10oz roach, life does take the Micky

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top