Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Re: Salmon Jumping

Originally Posted by Cosmos ->
So what are you saying Duke....after All that....!!!
You saying you are not getting it Cosmos I will need to change my bait.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ch...BuBtEQ_AUICCgD

That is my local trout fishery, seems these days without driving miles the rest have all closed. For me fishing it is rather like fishing in a bath. Fish , those mainly caught are put in early morning and hooked out during the day. No cunning there fishing for the educated Trout.
The big fish venues of Hampshire are the same, anglers queue early morning to get in and then yank the huge fish out by 11am and go home.
Imagine if that was sex, hit the jackpot every time without any hunt, skill or passion, how boring mans pursuits would become.
Can I entice you with a "Halibut Boiliee" and two stone of groundbait. Perhaps you are one who likes breakfast served by a radio controlled boat in the morning, now that ain't fishing .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 11:11 AM

Hi

I could not agree more Duke.

I am lucky where I live, some good rivers and canals and loads of unspoilt small farm pools.

The only time I venture onto the Carp Puddles is one day a week during the summer.

I volunteer to teach youngsters with problems, people with mental health issues etc through our local CMHT Team.

I do the same with the Help the Heroes.

On a Summers evening, you can drive your car right through the farm yard, park 6 ft from the bank, and fish a totally natural pool and catch rudd, crucians and tench to your hearts content.

A bit of groundbait, some hemp and a tin of sweetcorn and some bread is all you need.

it will cost you the princely sum of £15 for the year.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2016, 08:46 PM

Very impressed Swimfeeder, you do a good job and I am much impressed , you are a good man.
Shame a lot more such schemes are not run to get youngsters out in the fresh air.
Like all things, a little help and information on the river bank goes a long way. Barbel here in W.Sussex are quite a new appearance but I believe they are spreading down the river system. In my active younger fishing days a few were rumoured in the little R,Rother, getting information from the few just where was a no, no.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 11:26 AM

**Please note some posts have been moved to the Trash can, personal arguments should be kept off the forums.
Thank you.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
**Please note some posts have been moved to the Trash can, personal arguments should be kept off the forums.
Thank you.
Hi

Thank you Meg, this is a lovely gentle thread.

Anyway, back to the plot.

The sun is shining, the temperature is dropping, the rivers are falling, time for a bit of Roach Fishing.

I was supposed to be out this Sunday in Nantwich, the roach hole up in the deeper water when it is cold.

My favourite form of fishing, long trotting with a centrepin, a real skill.

Phone call this morning from my fishing buddy, the floods have brought down a tree right in my favourite peg.

Disaster, that means chainsaw and a Turfer to get it out.

A full days work for the two of us.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

Fishing is full of eccentrics, some real characters.

One of these is Blaster Bates, a truly lovable rogue and a fascinating man.

A war hero and explosives expert, an avid fisherman who I was privileged enough to know.

After a major flood in Shrewsbury, his favourite Salmon Hole was unfishable, a massive tree in it.

It was right in Shrewsbury Town Centre, just below the Weir.

The Environment Agency had no interest in removing it, but needs must.

He arrived to survey the scene, Sod this for a Game of Marbles was his attitude.

A man of advancing years, back to his car, waded out and came back a few minutes later.

"That will sort it out"

What will was my reply?

SBG, aka submarine blasting gelignite.

Time to take a walk, we will be getting wet.

True to his word, a few minutes later there was a dull thud, a shower of water, and the large tree was reduced to firewood floating down the river.

You can read more about him here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_Bates

Who said fishing was boring?
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Wow awesome pictures DOE,I had forgot how beautiful and rustic the English Countryside was,the trout look awesome and healthy.Many years ago i learned to tie flies and because of my residence now not many Trout well none actually.Have to go north to Tenn.or Ga. to even do it.Some time's when I go out west, I try a little but don't use my fly rods.I came across an old rock quarry and the water was just boiling with fish jut rolling on each other and splashing around,after a few minutes I was able to distinguish they were Carp,hundred's of them,many here in the States don't even bother with them the flesh is too mushy and they are very bony.I did actually catch a prehistoric fish once,it was a BOWFIN,I had no Idea what it was,I was barely able to land it,I was using light Tackle and fishing for Crappie,which is a species of sunfish.the BOWFIN is truly a predator,nothing is safe when they are around.
dukeofearl
south coast uk

15-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Thanks folk for the interesting reading, must finish this thread one day.
Did visit the start of one tributary of the River Adur this week, smashing. Just a couple of inches of water lost in a sea of bluebells and masses of heady smelling wild garlic.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top