Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Calcio2
EU ireland
Calcio2 is male  Calcio2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2017, 11:58 PM

Latest windows 10 build

Just installed the so called creators update (build 1703) on a few old PCs I have without issue.now two of these are 10 years old with pentium 4s with unsupported graphics .I can see a definite improvment in YouTube playback on full screen(no stutter) also you can now install adblock on the edge browser without Microsoft account.definitely think Microsoft are going in the right direction
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Re: Latest windows 10 build

I've just attempted to install the Creators Update 1703 on a 4-year-old Acer XC600 4GB desktop PC - the process stopped at 87% .....

Apparently, this is not unusual .....

Rebooting the PC reverts the system back to version 1607 ......

The best advice seems to be to defer the update until MS have provided a solution to deal with whatever's causing the problem .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 03:11 PM

I decided to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and try again.

Several issues were detected and addressed so I retried the Creator Update download and installation.

This time, installation successfully passed the 87% mark after 5 minutes and progressed into the update phase, which took about an hour, including a couple of restarts.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 03:37 PM

I hesitate to download this Creators' Update for the same reasons I have avoided downloading any Windows Updates for several weeks now. In the absence of Windows Updates, I have noticed no disadvantages or untoward developments.

Could anyone who favours Windows Updates please inform me of what specific practical improvements would be made to my system should I go ahead and download the Creators' Update?

The only advantage listed here so far is an improvement to YouTube videos. However, I have never had any such problems with those or any other video source.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

13-07-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I hesitate to download this Creators' Update for the same reasons I have avoided downloading any Windows Updates for several weeks now. In the absence of Windows Updates, I have noticed no disadvantages or untoward developments.

Could anyone who favours Windows Updates please inform me of what specific practical improvements would be made to my system should I go ahead and download the Creators' Update?

The only advantage listed here so far is an improvement to YouTube videos. However, I have never had any such problems with those or any other video source.
As far as I know, the Creators Update is mainly a features installation so there's no necessity to update.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/1...eatures-review
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
As far as I know, the Creators Update is mainly a features installation so there's no necessity to update.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/11/1...eatures-review
Thanks for the link.

Yes, looking at those none are really of any interest to me, with the possible exception of a better control of updates. Even so, the offered control options still fall short of the level of control that was available in Windows 7, and I have disabled Windows Update anyway simply because I feel that MS are taking advantage of 'updating' what they think I want as opposed to what I know I want!

The other worrying thing is that another major update is planned for later this year. When the Anniversary Update came out, and I had not yet disabled Windows Update, I remember the update beginning and going on for what seemed like hours. That was inconvenient to say the least and that's why I disabled Windows Update.

When MS eventually realise that this is MY computer and not THEIRS, I might re-enable Update.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2017, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Calcio2 ->
Just installed the so called creators update (build 1703) on a few old PCs I have without issue.now two of these are 10 years old with pentium 4s with unsupported graphics .I can see a definite improvment in YouTube playback on full screen(no stutter) also you can now install adblock on the edge browser without Microsoft account.definitely think Microsoft are going in the right direction
Yep, it installed on mine OK, don't use Edge so that has never been an issue. Some cosmetic changes and a few minor improvements.

I don't mind Win10 at all, have it on all my machines now (except the one running Ubuntu obviously) and it seems to work fine. The improvements to the CMD.exe screen which I use a lot was worth the change alone (not that that has anything to do with the last update).

I note that 98% of computers affected by the WannaCry trojan were running Win7. Whether that is due to the number of Win7 servers about or the lack of updating is a moot point.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

14-07-2017, 12:10 AM

Complete List:

http://winaero.com/blog/whats-new-wi...eators-update/

astec54
New Member!
US
astec54 is male 

14-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Downgrade to windows 7/8, those are older machines and it is normal that wwindows 10 don't have full functionality on them
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

14-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by astec54 ->
Downgrade to windows 7/8, those are older machines and it is normal that wwindows 10 don't have full functionality on them
Would that I could downgrade (upgrade in my opinion) to Windows 7.

They had an excellent OS there but, in common with so many manufacturers these days, felt the need to make unnecessary changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top