Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 08:43 AM

Re: Can Dogs Have Cooked Pork Mince?

All pork sold in the UK must come from pigs that are regularly wormed .
Your dog should be wormed too.
In fact it wouldn't hurt if we all were wormed once a year too.
Not too much though we don't want to kill off everything in our gut .
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 08:47 AM

We never give our dog pork to eat, maybe a little bit of ham.
They say you should never give pork to dogs, i wouldn't risk it..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 10:13 AM

It's a strange one this, because I would never have given my dog pork either, yet Burns holistic dog food (developed by vet John Burns), has been making a 'Pork & Rice' dry food for years. I haven't bought it myself though, so don't know what it's like.

I think some of the problem was the likelihood of dogs picking up a disease called Trichinosis (from pigs roundworms) by eating raw or undercooked pork. Humans can contract this too and in the worse scenario, it can be fatal.
Even if the pigs are regularly wormed,it is possible for them to develop a resistance to the wormers, as any animals can, even our dogs.

Personally, I don't think I would give it to my dogs, but if I did I would make sure it was really, really well cooked.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Hi

Strange isn't it that we all worry about feeding pork mince to our dogs, yet us humans consume vast amounts of the stuff on a daily basis.

It is called sausages.
DragonsRealm
Montgomery,Alabama
DragonsRealm is male  DragonsRealm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 11:54 AM

NO NO NO,Never give a dog pork,most pigs are slaughtered at 3yrs of age,there is an enzyme in pigs meat that is poisonous to dogs,after the pig ages to 4 or 5 years old the enzyme becomes ineffective.My vet here says it's first symptom is diarrhea and gets worse.Cooked or not.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Strange isn't it that we all worry about feeding pork mince to our dogs, yet us humans consume vast amounts of the stuff on a daily basis.

It is called sausages.

But the difference is Swimmy, it aint usually fed to us raw!

Also, maybe that is why they say be extra careful with BAR-B-Q cooking, not to serve undercooked meat.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
But the difference is Swimmy, it aint usually fed to us raw!

Also, maybe that is why they say be extra careful with BAR-B-Q cooking, not to serve undercooked meat.
Hi

Apologies Mups, I thought the thread was about cooked mince.

I have never fed any of my dogs raw meat.
Sundodger
Spain
Sundodger is male  Sundodger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2016, 11:14 PM

I'm in Spain. You know that 'jamon' stuff you all love as tapas? Well, when it has all been cut off the piggies leg, one is left with a HUGE bone - and our doggies love them!

Does make them a bit squitty though!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-03-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is called sausages.

It's probably me getting confused Swimmy.
I think in the OP Arty said she had googled it and found out it wasn't safe raw or undercooked, so that's what I was getting muddled up with.
I have since seen that Art says she has fed it cooked now.
Sorry if I got it wrong!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 10:03 AM

I had given my dog some of the pork mince mixed in with his Burns dry food and l froze the rest. Now reading these latest posts, l'm going to throw what I have frozen away and hope I haven't done him any damage.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top