Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 10:27 AM

Re: Can Dogs Have Cooked Pork Mince?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I had given my dog some of the pork mince mixed in with his Burns dry food and l froze the rest. Now reading these latest posts, l'm going to throw what I have frozen away and hope I haven't done him any damage.
Art it should be fine , a lot of members on our sister forum Dogsey are raw /BARF feeders (Bones and Raw Food). , this is Landywoods one of the biggest suppliers of food to those who feed this way and they sell pork.

https://landywoods.co.uk/product-cat...pork-products/

As I said earlier I would not feed it on its own and having a breed predisposed to a particular digestive condition I would not feed it regularly myself but I would use up what you have bought particularly as you have fed some with no ill effects.

How much pork have you got left. I would thaw out what you have/cook the lot/ bag it into individual portions and freeze them then feed a couple of times a week until it is gone.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 10:28 AM

When I first had dogs over 30 years ago the vets recommended no pork, it seems odd to now see it in dog food. But we have always fed little bits if sausage with no problem. Personally I wouldn't feed pork mince but I think some times it has to be judged on what your own dogs can tolerate.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Art it should be fine , a lot of members on our sister forum Dogsey are raw /BARF feeders (Bones and Raw Food). , this is Landywoods one of the biggest suppliers of food to those who feed this way and they sell pork.

https://landywoods.co.uk/product-cat...pork-products/

As I said earlier I would not feed it on its own and having a breed predisposed to a particular digestive condition I would not feed it regularly myself but I would use up what you have bought particularly as you have fed some with no ill effects.

How much pork have you got left. I would thaw out what you have/cook the lot/ bag it into individual portions and freeze them then feed a couple of times a week until it is gone.
Meg, Yes, l had divided it up into small portions before l froze it.
Since my Labrador Cassie died, Marty my poodle won't eat the Burns dry food that l used to feed them both on. I have to add something to it, even milk which isn't recommended but he'll eat it then! I'm wondering do dogs scoff food back because they are scared the other dog/dogs will pinch it? Now there's no competition, I have to almost hand feed him as he doesn't seem bothered about eating food he used to love.
It's times like this, you wish dogs could talk!!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 12:19 PM

I'm wondering do dogs scoff food back because they are scared the other dog/dogs will pinch it? !
Hi Art yes they do (I have even known dogs who regurgitate their share to re-eat at leisure )

You could try adding something strong smelling, dogs eat with their noses and dry food doesn't smell of much . A bit of grated cheese or tinned sardines added to the food may help or try a good quality moist food a couple of suggestions here.

Canagan Tins
Natures Menu Country Hunter Pouches
Wainwright's Trays Adult Grain Free
All have websites where you can find a stockist..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 12:27 PM

Thank You Meg.
He usually loves Nature's Diet Chicken and Vegetables and is reluctant to eat that lately, unless l feed him it off a fork!
As l said, this has only happened since my other dog died.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 01:00 PM

Grieving, many dogs go off their food like that, Betty certainly did when we lost Mollie but getting Elsie pup got her back on course and she eats well these days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 03:14 PM

Meg, Yes, l had divided it up into small portions before l froze it.
Since my Labrador Cassie died, Marty my poodle won't eat the Burns dry food that l used to feed them both on. I have to add something to it, even milk which isn't recommended but he'll eat it then! I'm wondering do dogs scoff food back because they are scared the other dog/dogs will pinch it? Now there's no competition, I have to almost hand feed him as he doesn't seem bothered about eating food he used to love.
It's times like this, you wish dogs could talk!!

Yes, spot on Art. That is often why, when new puppies first leave their home and litter mates, the breeder gets a phone call saying their pup isn't eating. It's what I call 'competitive feeding', and they gobble it up quickly to stop the next one pinching it, and they all copy each other.
Once they are alone in their new homes, the fun has gone and there is no race anymore, so some slow down or even stop. They have never dined alone before.
I have always said to new owners to make a little game of it if they do that, even sitting on the floor with them and pretending to share - anything to get them going again.

I agree with what Meg's saying too.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

23-03-2016, 03:21 PM

It's all Swimmys fault! . He mentioned sausages and it made me fancy a sausage sandwich, so l went out and bought me some pork sausages and my dog some chicken!
If l start a thread on worms, you will understand why!!
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2016, 03:53 PM

My two dogs are fed a "home cooked" diet which regularly includes pork and pork offal, all of which is bought from the fresh meat counter at Tesco, Spar or Auchan which is the equivalent of Asda.
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Art my little dog Lucy has behaved just as your dog when our Tilly died and now will very rarely eat anything if its not hand fed, no matter how long we leave it. the vet said we could leave it as long as 5 days but I cant do it so now we feed her on what we are having pork chops, sausages, chicken beef etc we also put dog food down for her but always end up throwing it away.she sees the vet regular and is always in good health. I also buy her a bag of cooked chicken from Iceland for when we are having something we dont want to give her.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top