Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 01:10 PM

Annuities

Bit of a choker this, isn't it? The Government backtracking on allowing people to take out current annuities, in a lump sum, from next year!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/pen...ax-breaks.html

I have two paying out paltry sums (one monthly, and one lump sum annually), and would love to have the whole remaining amount paid out to me now.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 02:06 PM

Re: Annuities

C`est la vie. We grew up with huge mortgage rates and just as we pay it off saving rates are no better than putting one`s money in the biscuit tin.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
C`est la vie. We grew up with huge mortgage rates and just as we pay it off saving rates are no better than putting one`s money in the biscuit tin.
Ain't that the truth I think we've hit every banking problem head on each change in policy and rate has meant we always pay most and have now got hardly any interest.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 08:59 PM

I believe that the reason we were allowed to receive a lump sum instead of taking an annuity was to kick start the economy. Thousands of people used their new found wealth to buy new cars, take holidays or do up their nests, or even buy new ones.
All this money that would have been locked up in insurance companies was now being released into the economy. I also believe this is the reason why the government have imposed penalties on banks for the abuse of PPI. Buying stuff creates more jobs therefore more tax and less unemployment. But it would only ever be a short term fix as we are now realising with the low value of the pound and next will be high unemployment. Unless of course, we start producing things here instead of having to pay through the nose with expensive imports. One of the drawbacks of allowing the EU to take production out of the UK. We must now learn to stand on our own two feet again.....
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 09:15 PM

How on Earth can you blame the EU for taking production out of the UK?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
How on Earth can you blame the EU for taking production out of the UK?
They knew what they were doing Purwell. It has been the slow drip drip drip, draining the lifeblood out of the UK, it was engineered. Who would seriously turn down the offer of cheaper goods, so we became reliant on foreign imports and they thought that we would not leave the EU because we could no longer look after ourselves. It remains to be seen if we are going to be strong enough to rebuild our industry or roll over and concede to the single market who will hold us to ransom.
We were complicit by allowing it to happen.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 11:28 AM

I would think that production was lost from the UK, as well as it's service industry, because the labour was far cheaper abroad. That and the fact that the gov't taxed the nuts of the rich. I'm not excusing the EU of course. They have been responsible for the decimation of a lot of things. The EU is responsible for the corruption and degradation of our previous justice system, and the EU has been responsible for all the devastating flooding the country has seen in recent years.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They knew what they were doing Purwell. It has been the slow drip drip drip, draining the lifeblood out of the UK, it was engineered. Who would seriously turn down the offer of cheaper goods, so we became reliant on foreign imports and they thought that we would not leave the EU because we could no longer look after ourselves. It remains to be seen if we are going to be strong enough to rebuild our industry or roll over and concede to the single market who will hold us to ransom.
We were complicit by allowing it to happen.
I'm not sure if UK will ever be able to recover from that!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

22-10-2016, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I'm not sure if UK will ever be able to recover from that!
You may be right Gumbud, but it won't bother us too much.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top