Join for free
Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Re: computers

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thanks JBR - I have tried with my hairdryer on cool, but it hasn't worked. Will have a go with the compressed air.
I don't think your hairdryer will blow hard enough!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I don't think your hairdryer will blow hard enough!
When I had my old desktop computer, I was forever opening it up and vacuuming out cat's hairs as they played havoc. In fact, when I took it to be repaired once, the bloke asked if I had cats because he was allergic and couldn't stop sneezing after he had opened it up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I had my old desktop computer, I was forever opening it up and vacuuming out cat's hairs as they played havoc. In fact, when I took it to be repaired once, the bloke asked if I had cats because he was allergic and couldn't stop sneezing after he had opened it up.
Bloody cats.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 06:50 PM

One question one might ask is, How important is it to keep a computer dust free?

I found out the other day. Boy did I just

Now I religiously keep my computer case fans and vents free. it has 2 fans at the front and one at the back to create a straight through air flow.

However A few days ago I started to have my monitor screen cut out and reboot. On top of this the screen started to have star like dots all over it.

My thought process was it must be one of two things, A, the monitor packing up or B, the graphics card in the computer packing up.

That would have been at least a £200/£300 replacement for a new card

I could have connected another monitor and see if the other monitor was the problem but decided to take a short cut and check out the graphics card first instead.

Ok every"seemed " dust free, but to be on the safe side I removed the graphics card which has twin cooling fans. I had forgotton to check these in 5 years

So got out my rocket blower I use for camera gear and puffed away at the graphics card. The dust storm that erupted was unbelievable , even made me cough. So I not only did the fans but also the cooling fins behind them.

Since then after replacing the graphics card no more problems.

So I would strongly recommend just giving ALL cooling fans a bit of a dusting with a blower to make a computer run better at least once a year

part I missed as they were facing downwards
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 07:11 PM

Can you please let me know what a rocket blower is, and how to use it.

Noddy language would be appreciated.

Thank you!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 07:26 PM

this is a rocket blower. Cost somewhere around £10/15 on Amazon depending on manufacture. Mine is by Gotto and had it for years

Just squeeze it.The nozzle really gets into those small spaces
such as computer fans and cooling fins
Link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d=PDYGKCBQQT2V
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 08:10 PM

Thanks RS - can it be used effectively without taking a computer to bits?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-09-2017, 08:28 PM

If you have a desk computer then yes just remove one side panel after unplugging from mains. That give access to the whole of the inside to blow out . No need to touch anything inside just blow the dust out

Mine inside .

I had to remove the MSI graphics card already mentioned, but i did build it all anyway. Should really tidy up some cables inside but can't be bothered

yes it does have a total of 6 cooling fans and a 750w power unit and 16 gig of RAM for the techies here
My previous lower powered power unit failed so added one poweful enough for what i might throw at it
Lindyloo
isle of wight

23-09-2017, 08:32 PM

Sorry, I should have said I have a laptop!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

23-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Ah then this won't apply apart from may be of use for others who might be interested, so no harm done

Page 11 of 11 « First < 9 10 11

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top