Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2011, 12:49 PM

Re: Labrador Nose Bleeds

Oh Barry, such sad news. I must admit, I didn't expect this, there were so many other reasons which could have caused his symptoms. Going on what Zack's vet told you today I think you have made the kindest choice for him. Lots to think about over the weekend and no doubt he'll be his usual happy self, oblivious to it all, thank goodness.
Give Zack an extra hug from me, Mary xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2011, 04:28 PM

So sorry to hear the bad news of Zack's test results, Barry.
I also think you have made the right choice regarding his treatment. Unlike us, he wouldn't be able understand what was happening to him or what was making him feel so miserable.

Please give Zack a hug from me ..x
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Really sorry to hear this news Barry. Agree with your decision, and I would have made the same. Thoughts are with you both and a big hug to Zack....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 09:48 PM

Hope you are feeling a bit better Plantman and you were able to go with Zack to the vet today. I am sorry that Zack's problem is not straightforward but hope that he will be able to manage and be with you for a good while yet.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi Everyone,
Regarding Zack, we just got his “results” tonight, although we are really none the wiser. Apparently he has a tumour up his nose (which we more or less knew), which may or may not be cancerous (which is pretty b****y obvious) and has had it for around eighteen months (which we knew). The biopsy was apparently too small a sample for the histology to be conclusive (a great help). The vet wanted to try again (at £500 a time, why didn’t she do it right the first time) and then send him for a MRI scan at Cambridge (£min 850) and then talk about aggressive chemo treatments (no thanks)!

We have of course been discussing his options since his tests, should the worst case scenario be diagnosed, and we decided we would go for palliative care only. He has had a great ten years and we wouldn’t want to ruin that by giving him 12 months of misery at the end. However, we tend to think it is all a bit of scaremongering. Yes he has a problem, but he’s much too fit to be ill, if you know what I mean. He is not losing weight, he runs like a greyhound and leaps like a gazelle. He has episodes of nose bleeds and then he has discomfort, but since his last procedure he has not bled really, just the odd pink discharge, whilst he has been on antibiotics and anti- inflammatory tablets. We are hoping therefore that we can keep him reasonably healthy for quite a while yet using the right kind of drugs, and Better Half is currently on the case chasing up what could be effective.

If you read between the lines you may get the impression that we are a little annoyed with our vet! You could be right
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Good morning Plantman. I think I would be annoyed with the vet as well. It seems she has done little to help you decide on the best course of action to help Zack. If the biopsy sample was not big enough to be any practical use then I would say that if the vet is suggesting another then she should stand the cost of a repeat try (if that is what you want).

Do you have insurance for Zack?

Looking back through your posts you say Zack has these nose bleeds about 4 times a year and in between he is fine. It may well be feasible that if he could be given a good session of anti-inflamatories and anti-biotic it would clear the infection as far as was possible. The nose bleeds could then perhaps be kept to a minimum with regular maintenance doses of medication even if he was on them permanently.

I think you are right about not wanting Zack to go through a lot of painful treatments which might not be successful. He could keep on having a good life for quite a long time without having to be messed about.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Thanks for your comments Aerolor. No, Zack isn't insured, we stopped it around two years ago when the premiums went on a steep upward curve, but we did open a "Pet Account" with a bit of spare cash, and we transfer what would be the insurance premiums into the account monthly and that is paying his bills at the moment.

Having said that it is obviously not all about money. We really felt that the vet was just selling us, or trying to sell us, as many services as possible. She seems to have lost sight of the animal welfare side, and she became progressively more frosty as we continued to turn down her suggestions.

Methinks change is in the air......
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

01-03-2011, 08:43 PM

You could get another opinion if you did change vets Plantman. A new vet would ask your current vet for the history and work done so far, so you would not necessarily be starting all over again. It's difficult knowing which vet to choose and it is important to have faith in what they are recommending. I have always been with a smaller independent vet rather than the larger chain type of practice. Also I think an older vet is sometimes more straightforward and pragmatic than the younger ones who have reputations to build.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Vets ...I could tell you a few stories and as bad as Doctors sorry no faith in either ...I totally agree with the way you are going with Zack he sounds a wonderful boy Labradors are a really special intelligent breed, enjoy and take every day as it comes my thoughts are with you and big hugs for Zack.....
Sue
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

26-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Seems like Zack is now on his last legs and we will probably have to say goodbye to him this week. After a really good couple of months and a fun weekend with our grandchildren, last night he started to bleed from both nostrils and this morning he seems lethargic and disorientated. We have immediately started antibiotics and anti inflammatries but the problem is that we don't know if he is in pain or not, but I think we have to assume that he is. We are now at a point where keeping him going any longer would seem rather selfish, and more for our benefit rather than his....
I'll have to let you know later what we have decided to do.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top