Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

19-06-2020, 11:42 AM

Re: Inventions That Change Our Lives.

Finding a permanent cancer cure must go down as history's greatest achievement in my view. Not sure there are cancer death statistics over the past 100 years but it has to be in the billions.
Swannie148
Sydney, Australia
Swannie148 is male 

19-06-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Cancer malignant melanoma.
What is your point?
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
What is your point?
When was cancer first diagnosed?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Swannie148 ->
Now now OGF without progress we are back as cave dwellers. I believe we are now trying to make amends for polluting our planet over the past 150 years. Those holes in the ground these days are for greener energy sources to power our next gen vehicles and power stations. There is hope yet for the human race and our planet.
I'll be the first one to praise the inventors Swannie, in fact I squirrel away in my workshop and invent and build stuff but unfortunately it has all been invented before... No matter, It's the journey I enjoy more than the destination!...

However, you have to agree that progress and new materials are not infinite, and at some point it will slow down and stop when we have exhausted the planet of every useful material. A while back I was reading about a shortage of copper; can you imagine a world without copper...There is also a shortage of 'sand' sand would you believe! Apparently it has to be a special kind of sand to make concrete and cement, not just any sand will do! And just look at some of the things we require as humans since say the fifties.....What used to be gadgets and gizmos are now necessities.

Mobile Phones, TV (Sky, Satellite, freeview, Netflix etc), the Internet (computers, laptops, games, DVD players) dishwashers, microwaves, gas/electric boilers for heating, cars, new kitchens/bathrooms (showers, En Suites) Medication, New clothes every other week, paint, wallpaper and other decorating materials (B&Q and others have built businesses out of our passion for DIY) and ten thousand different types of food from every corner of the planet!.....

We are on a slippery slope Swannie, we can either stick, or carry on to oblivion (or cave dwelling)....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Cancer.
I don't think cancer is a man made invention Besoeker.....In fact, it's part of you that goes rogue, that's why it's so hard to cure.....How do you stop it without killing yourself?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
All due credit to the inventors for making life so much easier.....However, when do we call it a day on future inventions, because it's progress brought on by inventions that are seeing the planet wasted and turned into a pile of waste material and big holes in the surface while excavating for exciting new materials.

The power of flight has brought us Covid19, and the motor vehicle so much pollution. Together with the credit and debit card the internet has brought us a new kind of criminal, who can sneak your money away while you sleep, or coordinate protests and wars all over the world simultaneously...

I believe it will be progress and inventions that finishes off the human race, or sets it back ten thousand years when everything runs out (especially oil) or natural catastrophe takes down the internet and other relied upon technologies....
Sorry to be balloon buster, and it probably won't happen in our time, but happen it will.....Nothing ever stays the same......
Nice One OGF, I thought I was the only Soothsayer in the Village.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think cancer is a man made invention Besoeker.....In fact, it's part of you that goes rogue, that's why it's so hard to cure.....How do you stop it without killing yourself?
What about (C2H4)n Foxy?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 02:18 PM

There certainly are good and bad aspects to inventions. Inventions in the medical field have meant people living longer, although some might consider this is not such a good thing.

We are able discuss inventions here because of inventors. The technology behind what we see on our computer screens is amazing but it uses resources one way or another. Resources that we know cause harm to the World. All the time the screen is on, we're part of it.

Covid-19 has given an insight of what it's like to take a backward step as regards less driving, flying and consumerism in the shops, restaurants etc. We know these aspects of life use inventions that cause pollution and/or use resources but we want them back again don't we?

It would take years to adapt to a new normal with all the job losses and depleted economies this would involve. It's not going to happen basically. As I've said previously (somewhere) "We're all doomed!"
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 04:31 PM

Most of the inventions during the Industrial Revolution including steam engines, locomotives, mill machinery, refining the steel process, accurate clocks, RADAR, television, thermionic valve (predecessor of the transistor), hovercraft, jet engines, computers - all British inventions.

A pity that the younger generation don't realise that all the things they take for granted were created from British inventions and would rather slag off our history rather than rejoice in it.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned the wheel yet.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top