Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 02:04 AM

Re: Dog breeders are raking it in

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Trouble is Tiff, now most of us are getting on a bit, a lot of the rescues won't let us have one of their dogs.

I recently heard of one rescue that won't rehome to anyone over 60! Doesn't seem to matter that we've had a lifetime of experience, they'd rather rehome to a young family where kids pull them about and the parents are at work!
Where's the sense in that?
Wow! How unfair is that. Yes we have a huge amount of experience and lots of love to offer. That’s crazy.
We will have dogs as long as we can and we make good doggy parents. Just ask our girls.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 02:09 AM

Trouble is Tiff, now most of us are getting on a bit, a lot of the rescues won't let us have one of their dogs.

I recently heard of one rescue that won't rehome to anyone over 60! Doesn't seem to matter that we've had a lifetime of experience, they'd rather rehome to a young family where kids pull them about and the parents are at work!
You are right old is bad as if you are going to keel over the minute you hit 60 .I was refused by three dog homes even though on paper we were a very good home . Active recent retirees always at home no children no small visiting grandchildren rural home big garden , we were willing to take a more difficult dog too . Sorry to go on about it it was a shock to me after a lifetimes experience with dogs some with extreme issues to be refused ! The three people I dealt with were total idiots ( I would probably have refused them a dog ) Trouble is often animal places attract some very strange people - present company excepted of course
I also looked at dogs for sale and everyone would have been delighted to take my money !

The neighbours who have bought the puppy tried rescue too . She was told the opposite - they didn’t rehome to anyone with young children even though they have always had a dog .( Their dog had died ) They are farmers so the dog would have had a lovely rural home with lots of space .. The home said they would only rehome a dog with teenage children just the age they lose interest in them ! They were under the impression the home was afraid about being sued in case something went wrong which I suppose is in today’s world a valid consideration.

No children /oldies / people who don’t feed raw food / unraw food / fields with no animals in ( yes the stupid woman who inspected my rural home said in the country fields have stock in them )/ homes with other dogs / homes without other dogs / .The list is endless.
Of course you have to be careful and employ common sense precautions you don’t want to rehome a potentially dangerous dog to a family with children or an active puppy with a ninety year old but I know of so many people who would have provided a good loving home for a dog and now do so with the dog they have bought having been refused a dog by dog homes. .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 10:12 AM

I so agree with everything you've said Muddy.

Another thing many rescues expect is they insist you buying dog insurance too, probably because they get commision on it.

With some of the stupid rules and regulations of adoption, I am not in the least surprised kennels are at bursting point.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 11:06 AM

That is so wrong, what better home for an elderly dog than an older person. In most ads for homes wanted it often states older children only so a lot of rescues don't want dogs going to homes with young children anyway..

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Mups when you mentioned that to me before, I was astounded. Here, kennels are overflowing, so that's not an issue. I am not sure it is even legal to deny someone a dog based on a person's age. Especially if they were getting any government funding or tax breaks.

You make such a good point about the advantage of matching dogs to retired people. In fact, the best owners for older dogs might well be older people who have quieter homes and more empathy for their needs.

I wish I could fill a plane with the unwanted ones here - older, neglected, abused, deformed, special needs and get them into the arms of the 60+ people there who would love them so.
That is what I think also. All the dogs we have had from rescues were puppies, they all lived long & happy lives too. I'd certainly want an adult old time now if I wanted one. Sadly my garden is not dog safe , it would take too much money to make it so & I would be refused a dog because of this.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 11:22 AM

I quite agree. Wonder how a rescue centre would treat a dog with me being 75?
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
I quite agree. Wonder how a rescue centre would treat a dog with me being 75?
Probably the way the rescue centre treated me at 74 Besoeker - they were very keen until I was asked my age. That is the reason I looked to buying a puppy but I refuse to pay the price they were asking - £2800 for a cocker spaniel.

Consequently, there is a safe and loving home here for a dog, which is vacant due to age-prejudice!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2021, 12:50 PM

I looked around the Pets 4 Homes website to see what Westies are going for now. I paid £950 in November 2017. They are now going for between 2,500 to 3,000. One was 3,250. Such outrageous prices nowadays.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top