Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 01:48 PM

Strange Blue Tit Behaviour

I decided to replace the nesting box the Blue Tits used last year having broken the side while cleaning it out.
The new box has a hatch for cleaning.

I was surprised to see Blue Tits pecking at the entrance hole of the new box, they have made quite a mess and I had concerns the entrance hole was too small.
Apparently this is normal behaviour ...

Tits are regularly seen hammering away at the entrance hole of a nestbox. This is probably a form of display by the male, rather than an attempt to enlarge the hole.

Later, the female will also peck vigorously: natural holes may have all the surrounding bark chipped away. This may help her to judge how soft the wood is and whether the hole will provide a safe, predator-proof home in which to raise her brood. Blue and great tits will also hammer at the inside of a box or nest hole, perhaps as a form of display.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...-at-nestboxes/
I am relieved I have not wasted my money on too small a house

Another odd thing, 3 different Blue Tits are using the box apparently the female builds the nest alone and the male just officiates , it looks like 2 males may supervising this time...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 02:29 PM

Re: Strange Blue Tit Behaviour

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Another odd thing, 3 different Blue Tits are using the box apparently the female builds the nest alone and the male just officiates , it looks like 2 males may supervising this time...
Interesting.

Completely the opposite to equivalent human behaviour, then.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:39 PM

Yes that is interesting Meg but it is odd how and why they choose their boxes. We have had two tit boxes in the garden for the last five years and never have they been used, but our neighbour has one nearby and it is used pretty much every year.

We had a robins raise a brood last year in a different type of box, but there are no signs of nesting from them this year although there are plenty of Robin's around...

Was it something I said.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Yes that is interesting Meg but it is odd how and why they choose their boxes. We have had two tit boxes in the garden for the last five years and never have they been used, but our neighbour has one nearby and it is used pretty much every year.

We had a robins raise a brood last year in a different type of box, but there are no signs of nesting from them this year although there are plenty of Robin's around...

Was it something I said.
That's a shame Barry I have seen lots of activity in my nest box and wondered if previous broods come back to their old home.

My garden is small and the nest box quite near the house so I am quite surprised it is in use.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:52 PM

2 males supervising?
Sounds about right to me ... lol
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2021, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->

Was it something I said.
It wasn’t ‘what’ you said but ‘how’ you said it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 08:27 AM

Two of my cats are shedding their winter coats, so I have been combing them & putting the excess fur on my Acer trees. The blue tits must line their nests with it because I have been watching them collect it & fly away carrying it. They return several times !
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-04-2021, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Two of my cats are shedding their winter coats, so I have been combing them & putting the excess fur on my Acer trees. The blue tits must line their nests with it because I have been watching them collect it & fly away carrying it. They return several times !
Hi Twink I hope a variety the birds are taking advantage of the soft fur .

I was intrigued to see the Blue Tits nipping the tops of the lavender and taking that to the nest box, I later read that herbs are used in the nesting boxes to help reduce bacteria so protecting the babies...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-04-2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
2 males supervising?
Sounds about right to me ... lol
It does doesn't it Bratti I hope they don't have a fight for possession when the box is finished....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Twink I hope a variety the birds are taking advantage of the soft fur .

I was intrigued to see the Blue Tits nipping the tops of the lavender and taking that to the nest box, I later read that herbs are used in the nesting boxes to help reduce bacteria so protecting the babies...
I have about 16 regular species of birds that visit my garden daily, but I never look out of the window without seeing tits. I haven't seen any other birds taking the fur, but with great tits, Blue tits, long tailed tits & coal tits I suspect there isn't a lot left for the others!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top