Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 12:47 PM

Re: Strange Blue Tit Behaviour

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was surprised to see Blue Tits pecking at the entrance hole of the new box, they have made quite a mess and I had concerns the entrance hole was too small.
Apparently this is normal behaviour ...
We have great tits nesting in our box, as they did last year. I haven't seen them pecking at the entrance hole, though.

This year, I put up a bird table a few feet away from it and keep it topped up with dried worms and some seeds, so hopefully they have a readily available source of food nearby.

However, other birds seem to use it more: blackbirds, magpies, robins... not pigeons, though, as they seem to be too big to fit!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 01:28 PM

I wanted to get one of the giant orange fritillaries that the blue tits like but all sold out ( everyone was watching the same gardening programme)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C7CC669-81F4-4E29-AF93-C8081740020D.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	15371  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Two of my cats are shedding their winter coats, so I have been combing them & putting the excess fur on my Acer trees. The blue tits must line their nests with it because I have been watching them collect it & fly away carrying it. They return several times !

I do that with my dog hair when I've clipped them too, Twink.

Meg, you are lucky to be able to watch them relatively close-up like that.
Wish I could, here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top