Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:29 PM

Re: Worming and ticks

Hi Muddy, I never buy wormers or flea treatments from the vets.
I never de-flea anyway, not unless I see a flea, that is.

I personally believe the vets telling us to worm/flea ever month or two (or whatever it is now), is not only to put money in their till, the overuse has also has contributed hugely to the insects building up immunity to the chemicals.
To me it is much the same as us taking Ibprufen or Paracetamol every day just incase we get a headache! So I only deal with a problem if I see there really is one.

A small example is, I refused treatment for possible lung worm treatment on my very old dog last year because I wanted to know she actually had lungworm first.
I know a laboratory where if you phone them they will send you a sample kit and all you do is take the sample yourself and post it back and they email you the results within a day or two.
The old gal was completely clear of lungworm, tapeworm and round worm, so that horrid wormer would have been totally uneccessary.
This is the lab if it's of help or interest, they are brilliant. They will test any animal for you, not just dogs:

https://www.wormcount.com/

Having said this, if I do want to buy something, for years I have bought from either of these companys and they are trustworthy, competent and about one third of the vets prices!

If it is a prescription only drug, my vet will write a prescription - or a repeat if necessary - just the same as your GP does, (there is a small charge for this), and I then send it to either Viovet or Hyperdrug, whoever has the best price.

Here are links for the two I find very good for all sorts of things animal.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgLUyfD_BwE

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
I know someone with Lyme disease and it isn't pleasant.
I know a few people without it of whom I can say it isn't pleasant.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I personally believe the vets telling us to worm/flea ever month or two (or whatever it is now), is not only to put money in their till, the overuse has also has contributed hugely to the insects building up immunity to the chemicals.
To me it is much the same as us taking Ibprufen or Paracetamol every day just incase we get a headache! So I only deal with a problem if I see there really is one.
I agree with you, Mups...I don't believe in routinely treating these thing either "just in case". However, I do have to worm John several times a year, because she eats grass like a goat (which she then brings up, most times). I have had her examined at the vets, who can find nothing wrong, and just put it down to Borders having gastric problems. Anyway, I find eggs in her poo's quite a lot so have to give her Drontal, which makes her ill for about 3 days Anything lighter just doesn't work.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:17 PM

I agree with you, Mups...I don't believe in routinely treating these thing either "just in case". However, I do have to worm John several times a year, because she eats grass like a goat (which she then brings up, most times). I have had her examined at the vets, who can find nothing wrong, and just put it down to Borders having gastric problems. Anyway, I find eggs in her poo's quite a lot so have to give her Drontal, which makes her ill for about 3 days Anything lighter just doesn't work.

Pixie, may I suggest you have the worms analysed so that you know which type of worm to treat, as there are different chemicals for different worms very often.
Also if you always use the same chemical you are (in my opinion) contributing to the worm's immunity again.

I used to alternate the wormers every 12 months so they never got used to the same chemical.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:23 PM

Pixie, may I suggest you have the worms analysed so that you know which type of worm to treat, as there are different chemicals for different worms very often.
Also if you always use the same chemical you are (in my opinion) contributing to the worm's immunity again.

I used to alternate the wormers every 12 months so they never got used to the same chemical.
I was just looking at that lab you linked, wondering if it would be a good idea to get that checked out. I had no idea such a place existed! And yes, you are right about using the same type of wormers and immunity. I might actually get a second opinion, if I'm honest, because since her last check up, I wasn't overly happy with the way they dealt with things. Since lockdown they have become a bit blasé about any concerns and just firing off meds left and right.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-06-2021, 02:31 PM

I was just looking at that lab you linked, wondering if it would be a good idea to get that checked out. I had no idea such a place existed! And yes, you are right about using the same type of wormers and immunity. I might actually get a second opinion, if I'm honest, because since her last check up, I wasn't overly happy with the way they dealt with things. Since lockdown they have become a bit blasé about any concerns and just firing off meds left and right.

If you decide to try the lab, you can do it all online if you want, Pixie. The prices are on their website I believe, and if there are worms present you could always ask the lab which chemical you need then.

BTW, some people tend to think if they change the brand name of a wormer they are changing the chemical and this isn't so.
I used to look at the ingredients, because other wise it is often a different company making it, but using the same ingredients!

Best of luck.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 02:37 PM

We use Stronghold prescription medication from Vets On Line. Works for us.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:03 PM

Hi Muddy, I never buy wormers or flea treatments from the vets.
I never de-flea anyway, not unless I see a flea, that is.

A small example is, I refused treatment for possible lung worm treatment on my very old dog last year because I wanted to know she actually had lungworm first.
I know a laboratory where if you phone them they will send you a sample kit and all you do is take the sample yourself and post it back and they email you the results within a day or two.
The old gal was completely clear of lungworm, tapeworm and round worm, so that horrid wormer would have been totally uneccessary.
This is the lab if it's of help or interest, they are brilliant. They will test any animal for you, not just dogs:

https://www.wormcount.com/

Having said this, if I do want to buy something, for years I have bought from either of these companys and they are trustworthy, competent and about one third of the vets prices!

If it is a prescription only drug, my vet will write a prescription - or a repeat if necessary - just the same as your GP does, (there is a small charge for this), and I then send it to either Viovet or Hyperdrug, whoever has the best price.

Here are links for the two I find very good for all sorts of things animal.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/?gclid=EAIa...SAAEgLUyfD_BwE

https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/
Thanks for the links Mups .
I don’t usually de flea either as Mungo doesn’t have any fleas but apparently there is a bit of a surge on Lyme disease in my area .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2021, 08:42 PM

I get Milbemax wormer for my two from the vets. Fleas I haven't had much problem with, but I do use Frontline from time to time, maybe six monthly.
I also have a flea destroyer to spray round the house, which is supposed to hold the fleas off for a year. I do it in the Spring all around the skirting boards. Seems to work for us and the dogs have a regular brushing when I am on the lookout for fleas .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-06-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I get Milbemax wormer for my two from the vets. Fleas I haven't had much problem with, but I do use Frontline from time to time, maybe six monthly.
I also have a flea destroyer to spray round the house, which is supposed to hold the fleas off for a year. I do it in the Spring all around the skirting boards. Seems to work for us and the dogs have a regular brushing when I am on the lookout for fleas .

Good advice about the grooming, Aerolor.
A decent brush most days would discover any problems in the early stages, so it can be nipped it in the bud.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top