Join for free
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:43 PM

Vets Fees

I recently had my two dogs to the vets and boy did I get a bill! Okay my dogs health come first not money, I appreciate and agree with that (unfortunately I am not a millionaire)!. My gripe is why do Vets4Pets charge for every consultation even if it's a follow up for the same problem.

My bill for the past two weeks was £290

My staffie had an anal gland infection which was cured with antibiotics the vet poked about a bit (which wasn't necessary) and slapped £7.50 on the bill to say he's fine.

Pip my JRT has a skin complaint that the first vet treat for fleas, including flea spray for the house, special shampoo, injection and antibiotics, and it turned out she doesn't have fleas after all. My second visit I had to pay for more injections, steroids etc., on top of another consultation fee grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Is this just Vets4Pets or do all vets charge extortionate prices and charge for each and every visit?

Needless to say I will not be using them again and have been recommended to private vet who I was told admits that he used to work for Vets4Pets and got sick of ripping of the customers so left and started up on his own!!

Anybody else had similar experience with this particular vet organisation?

Gobsmacked
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:54 PM

Re: Vets Fees

We were recommended by a friend to go there, but we left Vets4Pets as they were so money orientated. The tests and procedures they wanted to carry out on our terminally ill labrador was nothing to do with his well being, but just so that they could charge us the earth. We refused the procedures and said we just wanted palliative care for him so we went back to our small local private practice, who were quite happy to offer the care we wanted for him, for very little money. The care of our lab was all that interested them and he had a virtually pain free passing.

Never again will I darken Vets4Pets doorstep ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2012, 07:58 PM

Kath I am not going to comment on the chain of vets you mentioned , let's just say I have heard unfavourable things and think you would be better off with a small independent practice.

My vet does charge for each visit including follow ups, I appreciate this, after all he has staff and overheads to pay .
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:35 AM

i take kitty to a small independant vets and if its a follow up i dont get charged for seeing the vet...i think you get a better service all round rather than going for a larger vets..
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Private vets are cheaper in the long run and you shouldnt be charged for a follow up. Our vets are expensive but when you have a consultation you dont pay again for the follow up.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Do you not have the Pet Insurance to Pay the Vet Bills? I use Direct Line and they will pay the Vet Direct so you don't get Landed then have to Claim it back. I pay a small Amount each Month and My Bills are Covered.

http://www.directline.com/pet-insura...ce_claims_form
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 03:39 PM

We have always said vets have a licence to print money ! We have some wonderful vets here and I have to say that they are kinder and much more sympathetic than any vet we used in UK over the years. The vet practice we use here was originally called Centrocam, similar to many UK vet places in UK, shop, grooming parlour, vet etc and was a fairly widespread chain. The company, I believe, belonged to two brothers but one brother sold out his share to, again, we were told a British company, and the practices around us suddenly became Pets World. Everything remained the same, we still have the same lovely vets but the prices almost doubled overnight !
Still probably cheaper than UK, I don't know, but annual boosters, including rabies costs me around 75 euros for both dogs. Heartworm vaccination is given separately a few weeks later and that too costs around 70 euros for both dogs.

A friend has a dog who needs an operation on it's leg, she got a quote from one vet practice of 450 euros, she went to Pet's World and got a quote of 150 euros ! No prizes for guessing where her dog will be having it's operation.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire
Kath 131 is female  Kath 131 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Do you not have the Pet Insurance to Pay the Vet Bills? I use Direct Line and they will pay the Vet Direct so you don't get Landed then have to Claim it back. I pay a small Amount each Month and My Bills are Covered.

http://www.directline.com/pet-insura...ce_claims_form
Thanks Roxy, I will have a look at directline. We have obviously considered insurance but then again even they can rip you off big time!! I suppose it's the lesser of the two evils.
Kath 131
Preston, Lancashire

04-08-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We were recommended by a friend to go there, but we left Vets4Pets as they were so money orientated. The tests and procedures they wanted to carry out on our terminally ill labrador was nothing to do with his well being, but just so that they could charge us the earth. We refused the procedures and said we just wanted palliative care for him so we went back to our small local private practice, who were quite happy to offer the care we wanted for him, for very little money. The care of our lab was all that interested them and he had a virtually pain free passing.

Never again will I darken Vets4Pets doorstep ...
I'll second that PM. I really feel like making an official complaint or at least a bad review but I doubt it would get printed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2012, 09:34 PM

Our dog lived for eight years with diabetis, mega bucks and mega injections, but we did our duty. One amazing Dog, there will be no follow up.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top