Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 05:49 AM

Re: 'Northern Powerhouse'

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It's about time you poor hard done by moaning Northerners realised that life is not a bowl of cherries down here. The fight is rich against poor not North v South.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...uncil-11775346
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Tell that to the Jarrow Marchers, nowts changed bonny lad.
Two of my Uncles were on that and my Grandad was a hewer at West Auckland pit.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 03:38 PM

There seems to be a coordinated plan to make Manchester the sort of Capital of the North with various constitutional experiments such as devolving its Health Service to it's elected Mayor. I wonder if this presages some sort of English internal devolution?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
There seems to be a coordinated plan to make Manchester the sort of Capital of the North with various constitutional experiments such as devolving its Health Service to it's elected Mayor. I wonder if this presages some sort of English internal devolution?
Ive had similar thoughts Phillip.
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 05:35 PM

Thanks Nom - well Manchester's big BBC presence and media activity are perhaps a start.

It can be good - we in Wales, and those in the capital especially, have done very well out of the huge BBC presence in Cardiff where Dr Who, Casualty and other stuff have are made. It has spawned a big Cardiff Media industry of all sorts of things from a Paramount Film Studios Centre to the huge number of independent production houses and artists that operate there. The whole place is, to use that 'orrible word which I am not quite sure of the meaning of, " vibrant "!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 05:36 PM

What is this `powerhouse` built upon?. I remember the mills,the mines and the steel works. OK their time came and went but what will replace them?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

20-08-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
What is this `powerhouse` built upon?. I remember the mills,the mines and the steel works. OK their time came and went but what will replace them?
When the steel, shipbuilding, manufacturing, coal mining and fishing industrys were destroyed, alll that was put in place up here was call centers. These were soon moved abroad using cheaper labour.

Thousands were chucked on the dole and nothing done to rectify the gap. When Labour got in to their shame nothing was done to rectify the losses, everything centered on financial businesses in London .

The Germans kept a balance across their economy between manufacturing science engineering and banking, investing in plant and people, something we now need big style over here.
PhilipM
Wales, UK

20-08-2016, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Well, as I've said above about the amazing transformation of Cardiff in my lifetime, in Manchester's case Media, Finance and other Capital City type stuff which will require a whole different sort of workforce. However as for the rest of the former industrialised North I don't know?
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nom ->
when the steel, shipbuilding, manufacturing, coal mining and fishing industrys were destroyed, alll that was put in place up here was call centers. These were soon moved abroad using cheaper labour.

Thousands were chucked on the dole and nothing done to rectify the gap. When labour got in to their shame nothing was done to rectify the losses, everything centered on financial businesses in london .

The germans kept a balance across their economy between manufacturing science engineering and banking, investing in plant and people, something we now need big style over here.

PhilipM
Wales, UK

20-08-2016, 09:12 PM

What on earth is that reply supposed to mean with just 3 emoticons which come up as " 023 " ??

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top