Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:38 PM

Storage of Medicines

I have noticed a lot of medicines have written on them - "Store below 25 degs."

I first saw it on my eye drops for Dry Eye, which made me start looking at other things.
They all seem much of a muchness - Paracetamol, Aspirin, even multi-vitamins.

I have a feeling a lot of people don't even read the labels or storage instructions, but if you go and have a look at the small print on your meds, I bet yours say the same.

So with this ongoing heatwave, I wonder how much ' spoilt' medicines people are consuming, and whether it is dangerous?

I think I will ask my pharmacy about this on Monday.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:44 PM

Re: Storage of Medicines

I don't store tablets in the fridge, but there again the bathroom isn't hot

Eye drops ( even the animals) are stored in the fridge
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:48 PM

I store liquid medication in the fridge and tablets in a cool dark cupboard.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2018, 11:58 PM

Oh heck it never entered my head to store them differently in this warm weather. Let us know what doctors says
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have any liquid meds and one one regular set of pills - in the bathroom cabinet - cool and dark. Never thought of reading the box for a temperature guide. Will have to go and look now!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 01:24 PM

Mine are in the bathroom cupboard too, Meg, but my bathroom and bedroom have been been 80 degs by the end of the day recently.
That is just over the recommended 25 degs for storage.

It just made me wonder because this has been every single day for about 7 weeks they might have been over-warmed, it's not just a one-off occurence.

Some medicines (including veterinary ones) say 'Do not refregerate.' So Gawd knows what we are supposed to do to keep them cooler.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mine are in the bathroom cupboard too, Meg
I don't have a bathroom cupboard Mups my tablets are in a box in a cool cupboard in the hall. It never gets hot there. My bathroom is like a sauna and not very good for pills.

The exception is my daily dose box which only holds a weeks worth of meds and lives in the kitchen now so I never forget to take them.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

22-07-2018, 03:36 PM

I don't have a bathroom cupboard Mups my tablets are in a box in a cool cupboard in the hall. It never gets hot there. My bathroom is like a sauna and not very good for pills.

The exception is my daily dose box which only holds a weeks worth of meds and lives in the kitchen now so I never forget to take them.

Oh I see. You are so organised Meg, you would have forty fits if you came here.

I wondered if my eye drops were alright to use, that's what started me thinking about it.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2018, 04:19 PM

I have all my meds in a cupboard in the kitchen. It has never crossed my mind that they should be stored anywhere. I never read labels, guess I better start...
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2018, 05:32 AM

I wouldn't worry too much if they are not in direct sunlight. Would a coolbox be any good?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top