Join for free
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 12:43 AM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Well I am here...?????????????? for a moment.........wot the feck is a moment????????
A moment in time.............. secs/mins/hrs/days etc etc X.....cross marks the spot heh - wot about our physics guru - pugs the thug? any idea - duckie - I'll just get you an expresso while ya puttin ya two brain cells into gear - no dear yea cannie go backwards in time only forwards!
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Self Adulation!

I grew a beard,
Because I heared
That strained food
Was very good
For wind
And mind
And the complexion!

A beard is:
Face fuzz if your very young.
Artistic if you’re highly strung
Noble if you’re nautical.
Snooty if you’re haughtical
Dirty if you wear long hair
Essential if you go round bare
And astounding if you’re 3 years old!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 09:33 AM

I have completely lost the plot Spitfire
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have completely lost the plot Spitfire

Same thing happened years ago in industry, natural organic teams formed, then a highly paid group of "Nothing Jobs" turned up (Management Consultants) suggesting that all natural teams should be destroyed, and replaced with imposed structures, such restructuring being seen to be done.

AICM £5.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Same thing happened years ago in industry, natural organic teams formed, then a highly paid group of "Nothing Jobs" turned up (Management Consultants) suggesting that all natural teams should be destroyed, and replaced with imposed structures, such restructuring being seen to be done.

AICM £5.
Are you familiar with Robert Townsend's book UP THE ORGANISATION?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 03:01 PM

Who wants Duty Free goods?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2018, 03:21 PM

You make a good point there Pug, it was probably the best thing, had they stayed together till death do us part he probably would have ended up wearing her false teeth, her Nora Batty knickers and elastic stockings.

Speaking of compression stockings again, I read that Chinese ladies working in the paddy Fields and their legs having to stay underwater for long periods of time, have to wear decompression stockings when they finish work.

Anytime the County Down footballers are playing in Croke Park all the supporters shout “Up Down”

Nice one about the beard Ciderman, I only grew mine on my 70th birthday, two and a half years ago.

Thanks for the offer Sweetie but I’m all stocked up with port and tobacco, the son came home for a short break from Italy yesterday.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 01:58 AM

did I ever recount my sailing days in old honkers ?? sailing just after a typhoon in the harbor was risky but we did it!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

12-10-2018, 02:35 AM

but first another sailing story - I once sailed on the cargo ship from Holyhead Wales to Dun Laoghaire ; Ireland for a holiday with my bros his wif and mine. We stayed in a beautiful house in Dun Laoghaire - I think it was the "house of Shaune" [don't quote me on that until Jem gets back to me!]

We caught the rail to Dublin for a day out and drank in a local Dun Laoghaire pub on our return - the girls went to bed exhausted. the pub was packed and to avoid struggling to the bar each time the friendly inn keeper just said "when ya ready for another just catch me eye [I'll keep a look out too] and I'll bring the same drinks over - that worked well all evening until we staggered home without a gunshot fired!!

but today I read about Dun Laoghaire again when she was once called Kingstown and from where the ship the royal mail ship the Lienster carried the mail and 771 passengers and was torpedoed one month before the end of WWI.

And so it was that yesterday morning, led by the Irish naval service patrol ship Orla, a small flotilla of boats set sail from Dun Laoghaire – once a great royal navy port – so that descendants of the dead could scatter wreaths only a hundred feet above the wreckage of the Leinster. The Irish Times devoted a whole page to the disaster. Irish national television carried a prime time documentary on the Leinster.

the rest of the story if you are interested is in the Independent news - as this thread is a non-political one I hesitate to include a link, but I do acknowledge this history and would have loved to have been at the commemoration service.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2018, 02:31 PM

The House of Shaun doesn’t seem to be there anymore Gummy, I’m not surprised, more than likely it changed hands since you were there, property in Dun Laoghaire (the fort of O’Leary) is sky high and is rising all the time.

Yes it was a big thing here that sinking, I remember my grandparents telling the brother and me about it when we were kids.

"The RMS Leinster was sunk 100 years ago today, October 10th. The ship was torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB-123 shortly after leaving Dún Laoghaire (then Kingstown). Current research shows that 564 people were lost in the sinking. It was the greatest loss of life in the Irish Sea and the highest death toll on an Irish-owned ship.
From 1850 until 1920, the City of Dublin Steam Packet Company (CDSPCo) operated a mail and passenger service between Dún Laoghaire and Holyhead. Because they carried the Royal Mail, the company ships had the prefix RMS, for Royal Mail Steamer. The ships were the RMS Connaught, RMS Leinster, RMS Munster and RMS Ulster." (Irish Independent)

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top