Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 12:50 PM

The Hobbit

Went to see 'Battle of the Five Armies' yesterday. Quite spectacular if a little bit to long.. and for those who have not yet seen it the Orc's did not win. (Hope I've not spoilt it for you )
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Re: The Hobbit

Considering the size of the book compared to Lord of the Ring making three films out of it seems to me to be pushing your luck.

I still haven't managed to sit through the whole of the first film yet.

Refuse to watch any of the Lord of the Rings films in case my memories of the books are in any way spoiled. (Not so fussed about The Hobbit, it was a children's book and not a patch on the sequel)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Watched the first of the Hobbit films - and was appalled at what they had done. As Bruce says, it was not a long enough book to warrant three films and they have just padded it out with incidental rubbish. Will not be buying any of them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Refuse to watch any of the Lord of the Rings films in case my memories of the books are in any way spoiled.
Very wise, Bruce, they ruined it completely.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 03:41 PM

Considering the size of the book compared to Lord of the Ring making three films out of it seems to me to be pushing your luck.

Refuse to watch any of the Lord of the Rings films in case my memories of the books are in any way spoiled. (Not so fussed about The Hobbit, it was a children's book and not a patch on the sequel)
The changes they deemed fit to make to the Lord of the Rings book so that it made more sense to a wider audience (so they said) had me fuming. To have the audacity to alter a masterpiece of literature in such a way takes my breath away, and on top of that the changes were crap. Wish to hell they would remake certain sections so that it stays true to the book all the way through. Even for all that though it is one hell of a good film (s). Gandalf vs Balrog (for instance) is just staggering and is way better than anything I could have imagined.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 03:45 PM

I didn't watch the Hobbit being released as it was after The Lord of The Rings, it would have been like eating pudding before your dinner
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Your missing something mate.. I've read Lord of the Ring at least 4 times.. And all the films at least 3 times.. Gives yourself a treat.. and watch them.
Agent
north east

09-01-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I didn't watch the Hobbit being released as it was after The Lord of The Rings, it would have been like eating pudding before your dinner
Sort of agree.. but it was still something else, a nice bit of escapism .. Something that's a bit light on the ground these days.
Agent
north east

09-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The changes they deemed fit to make to the Lord of the Rings book so that it made more sense to a wider audience (so they said) had me fuming. To have the audacity to alter a masterpiece of literature in such a way takes my breath away, and on top of that the changes were crap. Wish to hell they remade certain sections so that it stays true to the book all the way through. Even for all that though it is one hell of a good film (s). Gandalf vs Balrog is just staggering and is way better than anything I could have imagined.

Yes for the most part I agree.. But being a bit of a devotee I would disagree that the alterations in anyway detracted from the book. I was and still am staggered by the films. . And I got hold of uncut versions.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

09-01-2015, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
The changes they deemed fit to make to the Lord of the Rings book so that it made more sense to a wider audience (so they said) had me fuming. To have the audacity to alter a masterpiece of literature in such a way takes my breath away ...

My feeling entirely !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top