Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 06:14 PM

Re: PC or laptop that is the question?

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Ah, I know one person who will be pleased!

What happened to 9???
Microsoft would not use the number 9 as it is seen as unlucky in most Eastern countries...... they must be superstitious
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
Microsoft would not use the number 9 as it is seen as unlucky in most Eastern countries...... they must be superstitious
Really? How interesting...and it's my lucky number
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 07:10 PM

I love my laptop , I never thought I would and was reluctant to lose my PC. The lap top was a gift from my son who said time to let the PC go.

As the others say I can't imagine returning to a PC. The laptop is so much faster, takes up so little space and it is great to be able to sit with it on my knee in the sitting room.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 07:17 PM

Well I am getting swayed in the direction of a laptop.
Looking at an ASUS X555LA.
At Tesco it is going for £389
More searching, BHS £295. And I thought you get a good deal at Tesco.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Well I am getting swayed in the direction of a laptop.
Looking at an ASUS X555LA.
At Tesco it is going for £389
More searching, BHS £295. And I thought you get a good deal at Tesco.
E I would check out the reviews of anything you choose on Amazon before buying from anywhere , they are usually reliable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=ASUS+X555LA.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 07:26 PM

You can join Which for a limited time for £1, it's well worth it to check their recommendations for an expensive item like this.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
E I would check out the reviews of anything you choose on Amazon before buying from anywhere , they are usually reliable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ds=ASUS+X555LA.
Thanks Meg. I always do research on stuff like this. I have been checking the reviews on this one and so far they are good. But then I wonder if Amazon sorts out the reviews for the better ones.
I shall be looking at independent reviews, as there are a few about.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 09:20 PM

Why not consider an iMac? This iMac (girlfriend's) has a 27 inch screen. It is brilliant for most work and especially anything regarding pictures and videos. On top of that it is dead easy to install a program called VirtualBoxVM (FREE) that allows you to run any version of Windows should you wish. I have Vista sitting in the dock (taskbar on windows) and can just click it to use - just brilliant. The Windows installation sits in it's own partition and runs totally independently. Just like having another app installed. You can run as many operating systems as you want with it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 10:30 PM

Macs are nice looking computers but price can be an off-putter. Amazon is selling a 27" iMac for £1,899.00 and a 21.5" iMac for £1,105. It's perhaps quite hard to afford or justify paying that when an MS Windows computer can perform all the same operations but costs a lot less.

I can see the attraction of being able to use a computer while sitting anywhere and I have done that. In general though, I prefer a Desktop computer, a nice comfy office chair and a monitor on a table. It could just be habit but having done this for the last 20 years, I don't think I could change.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2015, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Macs are nice looking computers but price can be an off-putter. Amazon is selling a 27" iMac for £1,899.00 and a 21.5" iMac for £1,105. It's perhaps quite hard to afford or justify paying that when an MS Windows computer can perform all the same operations but costs a lot less.

I can see the attraction of being able to use a computer while sitting anywhere and I have done that. In general though, I prefer a Desktop computer, a nice comfy office chair and a monitor on a table. It could just be habit but having done this for the last 20 years, I don't think I could change.
What about making your own? Last computer I made up from real bargain buys off Ebay. Damn thing flies and plays all the games I can throw at it yet cost me very little. It is surprising what you can pick up on Ebay regarding bits and pieces these days. I also picked up a Workstation for next to nothing that is one strong bit of kit.

As for iMacs again seek them on Ebay. Purchased a nice 24inch iMac not so long ago for only 350 and that was delivered from Germany. Not new but a good spec all the same and not a mark on it. Didn't come with a keyboard or mouse though as it was meant as a replacement for a broken down system.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top