Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 08:58 AM

Re: TV Box Sets

Box series can be very costly I have quite a few but I also have a load on disc's that I downloaded sometime ago Stargate/Citizen Smith /My Family.
My present way is using Putlocker I can watch full series of stuff like NCIS and CSI Miami/Supernatural or keep up with the present series that are showing. Try not to start off my day looking at them otherwise its tea time before I realise it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
Ive only ever bought old series box sets a nostalgia thing...
The most recent is Red Dwarf and Thin blue line
but we have
Please sir
On the Buses
Catweazel
Dads Army
That is a blast from the past - used to love the complete zaniness of that programme - did not know it was out on DVD - will have to go and look.

I have just taken delivery of three new boxed sets:-

The Ultimate 'Taggart' (has 42 discs!)

Maureen O'Hara Collection (has 5 discs)

BBC Collection of Oscar Wilde (has 4 plays on 2 discs and biography introduced by his grandson on a 3rd disc. This disc also has the only known recording of Oscar reading from "The Ballad of Reading Gaol".
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
Box series can be very costly I have quite a few but I also have a load on disc's that I downloaded sometime ago Stargate/Citizen Smith /My Family.
My present way is using Putlocker I can watch full series of stuff like NCIS and CSI Miami/Supernatural or keep up with the present series that are showing. Try not to start off my day looking at them otherwise its tea time before I realise it.
They are pricey and watching them on Netflix, Putlocker etc is a reasonably inexpensive method of watching box sets.
personally though I still enjoy having the physical item and if you're lucky you can buy some of them reasonably cheap.
I was scouting about in a charity shop recently and picked up The Wire (all 5 seasons) for only £12.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That is a blast from the past - used to love the complete zaniness of that programme - did not know it was out on DVD - will have to go and look.

I have just taken delivery of three new boxed sets:-

The Ultimate 'Taggart' (has 42 discs!)

Maureen O'Hara Collection (has 5 discs)

BBC Collection of Oscar Wilde (has 4 plays on 2 discs and biography introduced by his grandson on a 3rd disc. This disc also has the only known recording of Oscar reading from "The Ballad of Reading Gaol".

Catweazel is availbale on Amazon.... My children finally understood why their dad and I say things like answer the bone and lectrickery!
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
They are pricey and watching them on Netflix, Putlocker etc is a reasonably inexpensive method of watching box sets.
personally though I still enjoy having the physical item and if you're lucky you can buy some of them reasonably cheap.
I was scouting about in a charity shop recently and picked up The Wire (all 5 seasons) for only £12.
Actually that's a great idea Floydy we have loads of charity shops about here I think I may just well do the same and keep my eyes open for bargains like yours.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 06:33 AM

I tend to wait until a series is finished before I watch it, I hate waiting a week.

Only seven more episodes of Better Call Saul - Season 4 to go!

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 06:47 AM

I have quite a few boxed sets, Floydy, and usually watch them one or two episodes at a time in the evening after dinner. Good way to relax.

A few examples:

Waking the Dead
Silent Witness - only the Amanda Burton ones.
George Gently
Open all Hours
A Bit of a Do
Waiting for God
Inspector Morse
Lewis
The Adam Dalgliesh Chronicles
Quatermass
Star Trek - the Movies

Nearly forgot - recently found a boxed set of Hitchcock's best in a charity shop - am still working my way through those!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 08:59 AM

I've got:

Only Fools & Horses.
The Good Life.
Call the midwives.
Hi -de- hi.
Bewitched.
Open all hours.
To the manor born.
Benidorm.
Beverley Hillbillies.
Goodnight sweetheart.

M.A.S.H. (Alan Alda - swoon)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 11:42 AM

I do not recommend box sets lightly. A lot of box sets I have seen i could take or leave. I am watching Game of Thrones on TV at the moment but could quite easily stop.

There are probably only three I would recommend

Fringe - Superb acting and plots and stories that although are a bit far out, they could almost be true. Alternate Universes and evil baddies.

Outlander - Historical drama initially about the Jacobites and the battle of Culloden. Time travel, gore and quite a bit of sex.

Peaky Blinders - Set in Birmingham in 1919 onwards. Great characters, lots of violence and a great theme tune (Nick cave, Red right hand)
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2018, 11:47 AM

I would heartedly recommend ‘Sanctuary’ starring a very different Amanda Tapping from Stargate SG1. Several other SG1 regulars make guest appearances.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top