Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 03:44 PM

Re: A quick way to identify spam emails

Phishing emails don't only purport to come from banks, could be from any where.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Sorry but I don't understand not being computer literate.
You would have to explain in plain English not using letters like URL and HTML which means absolutely nothing to me.

Remember some of us never EVER had a computer at school they were not even invented.

SO please unravel this computer gobbledegook language so others like us know what you are on about

AZZ you post 13 has me even more confused as to what you are referring to such as link text. I don't even know how to text let alone what it is.

At 70 years of age there is no way am I even going to try and learn this new stuff , life is too short

Now if you mention how to use a slide rule ,that is a different kettle of fish or even old weights and measures not this stupid metric one we all now have to suffer with. Nothing wrong with feet and inches instead of metric this and metric that .

Even cars engines are in Cubic capacity (C C) and not horse power.

The world has gone mad
Bazza I'm older than you and didn't know the first thing about computers when my husband surprised me on a Christmas Day with a Mac computer!

There are some excellent beginners books around, for example "Computers for Seniors For Dummies" if you use Windows. I have a Mac so I have "Macs for Seniors For Dummies" ..... they are excellent reference books for us not so bright users
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 05:57 PM

You don't have to be extra clever to use a 'pooter, but you do have to want to learn. I have come up against so many people who just close their minds to using one and lots of them are just the sort of person who would find a computer useful.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Mart

Maybe i can find it on the internet but surely it is better not to abbreviate in the first place. I can't really see the point of the thread anyway, all it takes is to ignore any emails from banks, as that is not the way they contact anyone. It is always done through snail mail with your name on it
It is good to abbreviate when considering that:

URL = Uniform Resource Locator

and..

HTML = HyperText Markup Language

Don't blame me, I didn't think up the names but being what they are, they are rather long to write and abbreviations seem appropriate.

I believe the point of the thread stretches beyond e-mails from (fake) banks containing links. It highlights the risks from drive-by malware as well. This method of infection can and does happen to people.

About drive-by malware

I think the point being made by Azz is that a link saying..

www.a-supposedly-safe-site.com (hover the mouse to see where the link leads)

..may or may not actually lead to a safe site.

Just class this as general information. It's not the be all and end all of dodgy site avoidance but perhaps worth a mention for those who might not know about the 'hovering' bit and who might not realise how a link can be crafted to appear to lead to one place but really lead to another.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You don't have to be extra clever to use a 'pooter, but you do have to want to learn. I have come up against so many people who just close their minds to using one and lots of them are just the sort of person who would find a computer useful.
I fully agree with you Peter, you must want to learn.
When I took my first lesson in computers my son was teaching me, God bless him he has the patience of Job, when he would show me an operation he would let me have a go then he would write down what he had done so I wouldn’t forget it when he came to give me another few lessons, I have to admit if it had not been written down I would have forgotten it, eventually I didn’t need the notes he wrote. I’m a long way off mastering it but I’m getting by nicely.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

16-11-2015, 09:37 PM

One of my friends is a case in point, he is an excellent reader of form and reads the Racing Post every day, he also buys some of the other racing magazines, not sure exactly which ones. He won't entertain any modern technology at all, he has a mobile phone the simplest he could find, but he won't invest in a tablet let alone a computer. I'm sure that he could make a lot of use of the racing information available on line, not to mention getting better prices for his bets.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Developers have done a sterling job of making computers and the Internet easy to use. Almost anyone can do it now. Buy a computer in the morning and start posting on various social media sites by the afternoon. All the technical stuff going on in the background is nicely hidden beneath user-friendly interfaces. Questions to the user are usually simply put and a click/tap or two will produce the desired result.

A good thing mostly but simplicity has opened up the Internet to almost anyone. For example, one might read a well-presented article in an online newspaper. Go to the comments that follow it and a response there might read, 'F***ing moron!!' This maybe says all there is to know about that person. Should computers and the Internet have been made so simple to use that even bright people like this can be online? I sometimes wonder if there should be an intelligence and ability test before being allowed to use a computer and the Internet.

Regarding the technical aspects, computers can tend to be thought of in the same vein as other household items such as the fridge or washing machine. They are in fact a different animal to those. A little understanding of what goes on behind the monitor can take some research but the knowledge often becomes useful if the computer doesn't do its job properly.
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2015, 10:58 AM

WARNING - THE FOLLOWING INCOMING eMAIL AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS REPLY IS FALSE...!!!!

This morning, I have received a Phishing eMail, and it is designed to look as if PayPal are inviting me to check my account with them.

IT IS A FAKE MESSAGE.

You are lead to believe that you are 'talking' to PayPal - but in fact the link connects you to the nasty people. The people who sent it out invite you to enter your password.

If you fall into their trap, you are giving them your password, and access to PayPal.

This is like giving a complete stranger in Pakistan your Credit Card number and the secret 3-digit code on the back.

NEVER - EVER - FOLLOW THE LINKS IN AN INCOMING eMAIL.

No matter how convincing your eMail appears to be, no matter whether the 'genuine' Bank logo appears, no matter what it says JUST DELETE THE eMAIL.

If you are still concerned about whether you should confirm with your Bank or Paypal, MAKE YOUR OWN WAY THROUGH TO THEIR SITE - ie start with a clear screen and type in their contact site address yourself.

Below is the FALSE eMail.
I have deliberately deleted the PayPal logos.....

PayPal

Your October account statement is available.

Access your account statements quickly and easily. Log in to your account and select the monthly statement you'd like to view.
View Statement

Forgot your account info? Retrieve it here

Account Help Fees Security Apps Shop

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent to this address. For immediate answers to your questions, visit our Help Center by clicking "Help" located on any PayPal page or email.

Copyright © 2015 PayPal, Inc. All rights reserved. PayPal is located at 2211 N. First St., San Jose, CA 95131.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top