Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Ian Haines
Merseyside, UK
Ian Haines is male  Ian Haines has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Re: Tablet from Aldi

I found it not at all patronising, Malcolm. I spent years as an English tutor and it's nice for my use of the English language to be appreciated - and, online, too, which is rare.

Many people complain about bad language, online, and maybe they're right in so doing - to me, however, the only really bad language is bad English. I'm not one who believes that there are no excuses, because I've encountered people who have genuine reason to have failed at school when it had nothing to do, for example, with refusal to remain attentive and simply do the work. There are many other factors in the lives of people that are perfectly capable of divorcing them from a smooth ride through their education.

I tutored car thieves, burglars and muggers who had been instructed by Magistrates to learn to use English properly and then go out and get themselves jobs. It worked, too. I refused to tutor the paedophiles and rapists, though.

Thanks, again, Malcolm.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 03:00 PM

I am being dragged kicking and screaming into up to date technology I just get used to one gadget and my son brings me another to use. His latest gift is the Apple iPad I am using now.... Is it a tablet or an iPad? And what's the difference?

To be honest it really doesn't matter it does the job but then again so does my laptop, desktop, iPhone and kindle. Makes me wonder how many gadgets we all need?

My son works in technology so he tells me about new products about to be launched I would hold back on any purchases right now.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Haines ->
I found it not at all patronising, Malcolm. I spent years as an English tutor and it's nice for my use of the English language to be appreciated - and, online, too, which is rare.

Many people complain about bad language, online, and maybe they're right in so doing - to me, however, the only really bad language is bad English. I'm not one who believes that there are no excuses, because I've encountered people who have genuine reason to have failed at school when it had nothing to do, for example, with refusal to remain attentive and simply do the work. There are many other factors in the lives of people that are perfectly capable of divorcing them from a smooth ride through their education.

I tutored car thieves, burglars and muggers who had been instructed by Magistrates to learn to use English properly and then go out and get themselves jobs. It worked, too. I refused to tutor the paedophiles and rapists, though.

Thanks, again, Malcolm.
You are very welcome Ian, I too am a lover of out mother tongue and delight in reading properly compiled prose that is grammatically correct and includes no spelling errors or howlers.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 12:44 AM

Although, I have an Apple iPad Air, I don't like taking it out of the house, so on Sunday, I bought a Linx 8 32gb tablet from Sainsburys reduced from £100 to £50. It's ok but you can't beat an iPad!
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 10:29 AM

The mind boggles. If every old bugger has so many electronic gadgets, do the young ones have more or only one they use???
We have a huge bin for e-waste at the local rubbish tip.
As soon as a new TV or tablet or desk top puter or digital camera appears on the scene, the bin need emptying a day later.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2016, 11:12 AM

That's just like my neighbors son. He came and showed me his new iPad, the latest one.
The screen is almost as big as a TV.
Very impressed, but lost interest when he told me the cost.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top