Join for free
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2010, 04:43 PM

10 Laws Of Computing

1. When computing, whatever happens, behave as though you meant it to happen.

2. When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it’s probably obsolete.

3. The first place to look for information is in the section of the manual where you’d least expect to find it.

4. When the going gets tough, upgrade.

5. For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.

6. To err is human…to blame your computer for your mistakes is even more human, its downright natural.

7. He who laughs last, probably has a back-up.

8. The number one cause of computer problems is computer solutions.

9. A complex system that doesn’t work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

10. A computer program will always do what you tell it to do, but rarely what you want it to do.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 02:27 AM

Re: 10 Laws Of Computing

OMG, loved that, Val! Especially #2 which describes me and my old OSX 10.2.8, and #10, which the first thing we learned from our computer instructor at work when we switched to computers years ago ... have never forgotten that one as it is sooo true!!
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 07:59 AM

I wouldn't be without one but they're like kids, you love them but they make you so mad at times.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 08:58 AM

A computer is the most stupid thing we can buy.
They only tell you what you tell it to say.

ie, programmer mistakenly says, 2+2 = 5 and the computer believes it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 04:22 PM

I hate it when you tell it to do X but actually accidentally told it to do Y ... and it of course does Y! Aaaargh! But would not be without it.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I hate it when you tell it to do X but actually accidentally told it to do Y ... and it of course does Y! Aaaargh! But would not be without it.
I have been into computers since 1964 and like you they have drove me to tears at times but I would not be without it.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2010, 10:26 PM

Trouble is, these days you don't always get a manual with your computer, you usually have to read it on screen and if you want it printed out you also have to do that yourself.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

05-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I thought the manual that came with mine was next to useless! I found out most of the things I needed either from advice from forum friends or help sites on line.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top