Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2010, 12:50 PM

Re: Kindle?

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I'm sure Mags will help you get to grips with your new macbook too (if you get one) now she's a mac pro with all this Apple kit
hmmmm.... I wouldn't say that Azz!

I would willingly do all I can to help you Eileen and as you know I also have a son who would offer his help too...

As Azz and others have said, once you get Broadband you will wonder why on earth you didn't get it earlier

Let us know how you get on with Earthlink ....
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2010, 01:14 PM

I don't own a Kindle but do have Kindle for Pc software from www.Amazon.com. That allows me to purchase books from them in Kindle format and read them on any computer. I love it and it's free.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 12:39 PM

How did you get on DM? No pressure or anything
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 04:43 PM

Haven't done any more research yet, Azz. I forgot to bookmark the page where I read there was limited internet access (wireless), was sort of hoping I could use that to sneak onto Catsey and OFF., it did say you could access Google....

I've about resigned myself that I have to get a new Mac so have been spending time talking to an Apple rep ... the iMac 3.06 is what they reccommend, but that won't work with dial-up unless I get a USB modem. And that means I have to find a company that will come and install it, so as long as I have to do that I might as well have them connect either wireless or broadband (Which is better?). I really don't need that blinding speed; but will also have to have the passwords/bookmarks from the old Mac transferred, so the next thing to do is hunt for a company that will come and do that. All very tiring ....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 06:33 PM

Have you looked at the Mac mini, Eileen? It is 6.5" x 6.5" x 2" in size, so takes up very little room and is half the price of the iMac ....... but you would need to buy your monitor separately.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODEwMw
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 07:48 PM

o, I haven't Mags. I am relying on what the Apple rep suggested, as I am very satisfied with this one which they advised was best suited for what I do. All I use it for is e-mail, Googling, shopping, chatting and uploading pics on the forums; I don't download music or movies, play games or do things like spread sheets. The iMac 3.06 isn't a large boxy thing like this one, it's one of those skinny flat things; but space isn't a problem. But thanks for the idea anyway.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

02-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
o, I haven't Mags. I am relying on what the Apple rep suggested, as I am very satisfied with this one which they advised was best suited for what I do. All I use it for is e-mail, Googling, shopping, chatting and uploading pics on the forums; I don't download music or movies, play games or do things like spread sheets. The iMac 3.06 isn't a large boxy thing like this one, it's one of those skinny flat things; but space isn't a problem. But thanks for the idea anyway.
Just thought I'd mention it as I have the Mac mini and get on well with it
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-06-2010, 08:30 PM

The iMac is a good option for you Eileen as it comes with a built in monitor - if you bought a mac mini you'd need to get a monitor too, so for easyness, I think an iMac would be great for you

Re getting a USB modem, I wouldn't bother as you won't need it once you get broadband.

I would suggest you do this, in this order:
  1. Get broadband first
  2. Set it up with your current Mac (that way you still have your dial-up in case you need it)
  3. Then get your new iMac and connect that via broadband.

Broadband should be cheaper than dial-up Eileen, did you ring them to find out?

Edit: just checked and broadband costs a little more in the US - dunno why, it was always more expensive here as you had to pay by the minute. Either way it is definitely worth looking into Eileen, I would say the difference is almost like the jump from no web to web - it really does make a huge difference
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2011, 05:07 PM

My Wife Norma has been using her Kindle since Christmas and is enjoying it, her Daughter has sight issues and would not be without it, great magnifying features.

They both download via WiFi and find books either free or less expensive that off the shelf.

How are you finding your Kindle, have you tried one of the features, facebook, news papers ECT.

Adrian.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2011, 07:10 PM

I love mine for reading but use my iPad for everything else. The Kindle is so small, with great battery life & is easy on the eyes, not so the iPad. I hold the Kindle in one hand where the 1.5 pound iPad is a brick.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top